Fly Tying
bryston

fly frame

This is the frame I did for a Christmas gift for my dad. Let me know if you would like any help on how to mount the flies. The Radencich book has a great chapter on how to make the shadow box type frames but I hate the idea of sticking the point into the acrylic rod like he suggests. Use q-tip or any small hollow tubes and loop a piece of mono over the fly and tape to the back of the shasdow box. I learned this method from Davie McPhail and it really is the best system I have seen.

post-5737-1170179316_thumb.jpg

Awesome frame Matt!!!

What is a good resource for tying instructions for these type of salmon flies?? I'm super interested!

Go to the Classic and Artistic Salmon forum on this site. Beyond that, you are on your own as far as finding out how to afford this addiction. Our resident doctor states that it is better for your health but no less addicting or expensive than crack cocaine!

Wander over to the dark side and look around. Ask if you have any questions.

Arkfisher, don't do it. It's like stepping in quicksand. It starts out simple with some fairly simple supplies but quickly you get to the point where you say stuff like

"Hey, I need a jungle cock feather for this fly. Guess I better buy a skin. Wham!!! There goes $170 bucks. And of course you have to start buying various books. I figure therapy might be next on the list. :lol:

(speaking from experience since I am only a few steps ahead of you).

Definitely go over to the Classic forum. Incredible wealth of info in the existing posts and fantastic bunch of guys that are willing to help out. Matt being one of them.

Matt, awesome frame you made for your dad.

Jeff

Thanks for the comments on the frame guys.

I fall into the category of willing to help out much more than the wealth of info description. Seriously a lot of guys over there REALLY know their stuff. I am just a sponge trying to soak it all up. :)