Fly Tying
stealthson

Red-Tail Hawk Feathers

Folks- you MUST check with your state's (or province or whatever) fish and game dept, DEC, game commission, or whatever agency oversees wildlife management.

RAPTORS- birds of prey, hawks, owls, eagles, stinky vultures, falcons, are FEDERALLY (in the US) regulated. Don't even mess with them unless you are a so-called native american and can prove feathers will be used for art or ceremony.

Normally the info will be found in the hunting regs, all the game species will be listed, all the rest will be 'nongame' species. Usually the capturing or killing of nongame species is prohibited. Exotics, like house sparrows, european starlings, and peackocks(!) might be open season, kill 'em all, depends on the state. Picking up feathers or body parts of nongame species may or may not be specifically addressed, depends on the state.

I doubt very very much anyone would have heartache with using a naturally shed bluejay feather, but you just never know. I hit a robin with my motorcycle this morning on the way to work... I'll be picking feathers out of my jacket for a month.

Bottom line is do the research for your own state. That still leaves open the questions about interstate transfer of such materials, which falls under a wonderful piece of legislation known as The Lacey Act. Good luck figuring out all the BS associated with it. It applies more to live animals, but might include animal parts(feathers).

Be careful with the 'introduced' species too, though. Up in our parts the pheasant (Chinese Ringnecked Pheasant) is an introduced species. But you might find yourself in a bit of trouble if you shoot or possess one without a liscense.

Thank you all for the help and advice. Turns out that after identifying the bird my friend found out that it was not a red-tailed hawk. I suppose i should have checked the bird out in person before posting my question, although i guess it is all great information to know considering i had no idea that there were laws in place to protect common birds of prey. Who knows, this information may save one of us sometime down the road.

right Deeky- ringnecks almost always are listed in the game species, even though they are introduced exotics. They taste yummy, that's probably why...