Fly Tying
stealthson

Red-Tail Hawk Feathers

Could you imagine a tourist walking along and finding a beautifal feather. Naturaly one would pick it up as a keepsake and reminder of there trip. "Drop the feather and put your hands in the air!"

It has happened. I have met people who got fined 1000's of dollars for picking up a feather. One of the best stories is of a fisherman who found a huge feather floating down stream, he picked it up and put it on his hat. A game warden saw he do that and next thing the fisherman know he is told to freeze and come out of the water. The feather is then taken from him and is told it is a heron feather and he is going to be fined. At the time the fine was only $150 but at that time it was a bit of money.

Where the law gets real fun is if someone ships them to you with out you knowing :) The sender does not get in trouble the person who gets the package does. As soon as you touch the package you can be arrested and still have no idea what is in the package.

Joe Fox

Feathers of songbirds, shorebirds, raptores, wading birds, and any just about any other non-game bird found in the wild in the USA are illegal to possess or use in tying.

So, if you find pretty feathers on the ground (or on a dead bird)... LEAVE THEM THERE!!!! It just aint worth the hassel.

As others have said, it simply isn't worth the hassle. Even if you call a local conservation officer and ask to keep the feathers, and even if that conservation officer is able to determine that the bird is indeed a road kill, all he/she would do is to turn the feathers over to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, where they would be distributed to Native Americans for use in ceremonial garments.

When a bald eagle was poisoned here in West Virginia, someone got the idea that it should be mounted and displayed at Robert C. Byrd High School in Clarksburg, as the school's athletic teams are called the Eagles. It literally took an act of Congress, ramrodded through by Sen. Byrd himself, to get the USFWS to relinquish the pelt.

John

:gunsmilie: :gun_bandana:

DON'T COME TO MY HOUSE!!!

:gunsmilie: :gun_bandana:

(actually, don't go to my dad's house.)

Back, many many years ago, my grandfather legally stuffed an owl. He worked for a museum that housed lots and lots of animals from around the world. My father brought that owl home after my grandfather passed away. From what I hear (especially on this post) it's probably illegal for my dad to posses it. Someday, I expect that I might be the (illegal) possessor of that owl. I've warned my dad, that in due time, I WILL have some (just a few, not enough to destroy the mount) feathers tied on hooks. I figure it's a great tribute to my grandfather who ultimately got me into fly fishing. The mount will remain visually as it does today, but I will know that there are a dozen feathers missing from a tiny section and the flies will be (used?) displayed with the bird...probably in my prison cell if you guys show this post to the wrong people.

(I made up that story..... ;) )

Stealthson....I agree that these feathers should not be used,sold,traded,or otherwise trafficked in. Bet you wish you would have skinned the thing,processed the feathers,and stashed them away under a loose floorboard somewhere!! Seriously, I have read quite a bit about how seriously the "feather-police" take

their job,and ALL accounts agree,that they DO NOT F**K AROUND!! There really is no feather that I can think of that would be worth a stiff fine,let alone possible time in the cooler! I once found a pretty little hawk of unknown species,which apparently flew into a window,and was killed.I called a local taxidermist,thinking of just getting the thing mounted,cause it was such a swell looking bird. He told me in no uncertain terms,that he would not even entertain such an idea. THAT was my introductiuon to what often seems like the wacky world of "governed" fur and feathers. Here's is something I've been wondering...What if you inheirit (SP?) a now illegal feather,from someone that owned it when it WAS legal...are you now in violation simply posessing the "contraband" feather. Any takers on that one!!...???

I remember a long time ago Eric Leiser telling me the story of when Fireside Angler got locked down by the bird police. He had some jungle cock on the premises and the guys can in guns drawn....I think the words "feather gestapo" might have crossed his lips!

Are you out there Eric???...tell us the story.

Hot Tuna

Is there anything in West Virginia which is NOT named after Robert Byrd?

:lol:

Oh, there might be a parking meter or two that hasn't yet been named for him. :P I live near Huntington, which has the Robert C. Byrd Bridge, the Robert C. Byrd Institute, the Robert C. Byrd Sciences Center and the Robert C. Byrd Institute for Rural Health.

Charleston has the Robert C. Byrd Federal Courthouse and a branch of the Byrd Institute. Beckley has the Robert C. Byrd Freeway. Parkersburg has another Robert C. Byrd Courthouse. Appalachian Highway Corridor G south of Charleston has officially been designated the Robert C. Byrd Highway.

One time, when my wife and I were commiserating by phone over an unfortunate turn of events in our lives, she said, "Why don't you meet me at the Robert C. Byrd Bridge and we'll jump off?" I answered, "Which one? That's like asking someone to meet you at the Equator!"

John

Ok, so I read all this, andI understand it. The question is, where is the master list for feathers that can and cannot be used? I have the Cites list, and I know the deal there, but it does not do me much good since the majority of our native birds are not on that list. I myself am in possession of 1 feather I know is not legal, it's a blue jay feather that my father found in the woods. I would love to use it as a throat for some shadow boxed flies, but I am afraid of getting caught, so it sits in a shoebox with some random turkey feathers that were also found in the woods.

Any idea where a master list is?

I would say take a look in your local hunting law book (the free ones they give out). If you do not see a season for the bird, it's probably illegal to have the feathers.

Blue jay is illegal??? that's surprising. Shows how much I know. I'd like the master list too.

I think I might have to go to all store bought materials, and tape the receipt to the package so if ever i'm found to be in violation i can at least point the finger somewhere else!

My understanding is the the American Blue Jay is illegal, because it's classified as a song bird. I guess the reason I am looking for a list is because I wonder if some birds are classified as 'rough' or unprotected birds, much like fish like carp and bullheads. I understand that pheasants, turkey, grouse are all fine. I would imagine though you cannot shoot a peacock if it was wandering around in your front yard, yet the feathers are saleable. How the hell are we supposed to know what to use and what not to use, I don't go around shooting birds, but if I find a molted feather, I like to try and find a use for them.

My understanding is that if it is a native bird, it's either illegal to kill or possess, period; or else it is a "game bird" and can be hunted during the legal hunting season. There is no open season on blue jays, so you can't kill them. However, birds that are not native to the USA but have been transplanted here, are not protected. So the little sparrows (English Sparrows) you see eating french fries in the Hardee's parking lot and Starlings are not protected. I used to frequent a purple martin web site & there was serious question as to whether or not doing "nest checks" (to check for mite infestation) or replacing baby birds that fall from the nest is legal. They are considered migratory birds and are HEAVILY protected. That isn't a "list" but it is a pretty good short-cut to knowing what you can & can't do.

BB

I have read all of these posts and find this topic pretty fascinating. I know that where I grew up (Northeast Arkansas) people shoot redtail hawks all the time. You can pretty much pull up under any telephone pole and find a carcass. I've wondered about these feathers also...I was thinking that the next time I went home I'd see about finding one of these carcasses...but I think I've changed my mind now. Thanks for the information guys.

Richard

I'm sorry but I would not call anyone but I would get rid of that bird immediately. Chances are good that they'd just confiscate the bird, However I would not want to run into the wrong CO the penalties are nothing to play with, That's a federal offense. Just my 2 cents.

I'm with Sawcat on this one - just get rid of it.

Some of these officials can be really nasty when the mood takes them.