Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
gkg-fil

Hello

Hello everyone. First off I want to say this is one of the best layed-out websites that I have seen. I live in the Laurel Mountains of Pennsylvania and play professional paintball. I used to do a lot of flyfishing when I was younger. Just got back into it recently and things seem to have changed a little. Anyhow, I've wanted to tie flies for years, so I am giving it a shot. Not really sure, what flies I should tie and for what time of the year, but I'm sure its on here somewhere. Its gonna be great getting to chat with you all.

Welcome to the Forum from a fellow PA fisherman. Having fished the Laurel Mountain, I am somewhat envious of your location.

As for the types of flies you may wish to tie, there are some very good books on the subject for PA. Dave Wolf's "Flyfisher's Guide to Pennsylvania" is a good example. Charlie Meck's books are also very good. Some of my personal preferences are:

Nymphs - Zug Bug, Prince, Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear, Green Weenie, and Pheasant Tail

Wets - March Brown, Alder Fly, Light Cahill, and various soft hackle flies

Dry - Adams & Humpy(in various body colors), Blue Winged Olive, Little Black Stone, and Rusty Spinner

Streamers - Wooly Bugger ( Black, olive, white), Muddler Minnow, and Grey Ghost

These flies, in different sizes and colors, will cover a large percentage of PA streams. Eventually you'll want to ties some micro flies such as Tricos size #20 and smaller, but I'd learn to tie the larger flies first.

Good luck with your tying and fishing.

welcome to the site.

Yes yes yes another Pa flyfisherman. You will learn a lot here ans well as have a chance to share someof your knowledge. There are a lot of PA folks here.

What streams to you like to fish?

Do you fish the little J at all? (love that water)

Do you ever make it to the midstate?

Conehead

Harrisburg, PA (Camp Hill)

Redwings1: lol, Yeah you are right. There is soo much info on this forum, its GREAT.

D.Waterflogger: Yeah - there are some excellent streams around here. I'd have to say that Kimbery Run (which is such a small, but gorgeous creek) is my favorite. Also, thanks for the information, very helpful.

conehead: Lots of PA fishermen on here, nice to hear. As I stated above, I love to fish Kimberly Run but I also really like fishing Laurel Hill, Jones Mill Run and Brush Creek. Do you mean the Little Juniata? Yes, I fished it a lot before I moved to NC (thats when I got out of fishing), but now that I am back, I am sure I will fish it this Summer. I usually fish around the Trading Post, but watch out for the snakes. lol And actually I am going to be in Harrisburg this weekend for the Sports Show (of course) and the team has a paintball tournament on Sunday in Lancaster. But I have not fished central PA.......Yet!!!

Great to meeting you all

Welcome to FTF, glad to have ya here, we have great folks and info here. I live in WV, and I was captian of team Bad Karma, pro paintball team, I played front and mid, used AGD markers, and sponserd by AGD, DYE, Kingman, and a few others. I have not stepped on the field for over a year, and I miss it so much, I sold ALL of my gear last year, only thing I kept was my jerseys. My home field was scary creek paintball, I used to ref there as well and do all the field maintence. Who do ya play for, I may know your team or played you in Ultimate Madness.

Dustin.

I will be in Pittsburgh this weekend. No fishing for me! Most of the midstate streams are iceing over, not much fishing for a few weeks. Dude, I hope your paintballing inside, because by the time that paintball hits you, it's an ice ball.

Yes, that's the litle J. We need to get a PA trip going up there some day.

Again welcome

Conehead

fly time: Sounds like its time to get back into paintball. haha GKG is our team name. We just recently fielded a speedball team, so I would not have played against you. This weekend will be the second speedball tournament for us. We practice at All-American Paintball Park. We are very lucky to have Smart Parts as one of our Sponsors.

conehead: lol, yeah its indoors. I specialize in woodsball and scenario tournaments (which is outside) but I'll stick to the warmth of indoors for a few more weeks. So you are going to Pittsburgh and I am going to Harrisburg this weekend, nice. Yeah, a nice trip to the Little J this year sounds like a plan.