Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Pike Fly-Feedback Please

I made something similar using fly fur...I thought I had a picture in the D-Base but I guess I'll have to add it tomorrow. Nice!

Alex,

May want to try one with super hair, its just that much stiffer than unique. My version of the fly has a super hair tail unique hair (slightly shorter) above and below it, and then fishhair (which is a very stiff and opaque synthetic) above and below that again slightly shorter. Gives a nice profile is very foul resistant, and has that outline quality which I feel assists the more translucent materials.

NikRose,

Your English is a lot better than my Italian. :D

That fly is extremely interesting. Now the first part of the fly (the hook which is tied to the leader) are all those materials threated with silicon to make the fly almost hollow.

Could you post a photo of the fly from the rear? That fly looks dynamite.

Alex -

I've been tying and fishing these things in the salt for the last year. If you come up with a recipe that you like, you can speed up the process by going to a craft store and purchasing one of the heart-shaped cutters that they use for "cropping". You can punch out 20 heads in minutes.

As far as hooks go, I've been using the Owner Flyliner in the smaller sizes, and Gamakatsu SC15, SC17, and B10S (stingers) in the larger sizes. If you really want to do some production work, Steve Farrar's Flash Blend is a nice balance between supple, but stiff enough to resist fouling.

The foam heads also go great with saddles. I've been converting some of my older offshore Deceivers by adding the foam heads and a marabou collar for a little fill at the "neck". They look awesome in the water, but I don't know how long they would hold up to Pike compared with synthetics.

Also - I don't add anything to the wing after the head and haven't had any fouling trouble.

post-4245-1172072383_thumb.jpg

Sweet flies guys!

Sean-

Your post has crushed me. I finally thought I was alls et with hair when I got a good variety of EP and Unique Hair :ripped: :ripped:

What do you guys think of these hooks for this style of fly? I'm thinking about picking up a pack or two in the 5/0, 7/0 range

Matzuo Octopus Hooks-Black Chrome

I would try to gently "TWEAK" the gape on the hook you have open a little more. these flys work great in the salt Maybe spread the material out to fill in the back of the head a little more and give the fly a wider profile I have tried a bunch of materials but I like the steve farar flash blend the best for these also

Alex,

Those hooks are very similar to the ones I use. I like the Eagle Claw Octopus hooks - they aren't a fly tying hook but a bait hook, very beefy and helps to balance the head in the water.

Question for the topic: What glue are you guys using to hold the heart together? I tie the Apex of the heart in at the eye, fold back and super glue - I wouldn't say its fragile but it could certainly be better.

This winter I've converted many of my big patterns to foam heads, snake flies, slammers you name it.

One thing that works also especially if you don't like the flotation is double sided tape used for hanging posters. Comes as a foam tape but also a clear very thick tape. Very strong and no need for glue. But a bit harder to shape.

I use that technique as an epoxy substitute for surf candies.

I wouldn't worry too much about what synthetics you are using, Alex. 100% unique hair will be fine, as will any of that EP stuff (personally never saw the big draw of EP I mean its a good material but there are dozens more that do the same thing really.)

Bassturd offers a good point about tweaking the hook gape, but I just wanted to mention that I would only do that on a stainless steel hook, opposed to a nickle plated one since they tend to crack and become weak.

Thanks for all the great feedback, I really appreciate it! :headbang:

I was looking at those Eagle Claw Octopus hooks and they do look like a good hook for these.

So far I've been using super glue too to hold the head on. I tried to apply it to purposely create some air pockets inside the head to hopefully help keep the fly upright, and add a little more buoancy to them. I haven't been tying them in at all though since the super glue on the inside and the coat of epoxy on the outside should more than keep it together. I've been spending most of my time this week tying poppers, but have a few more of these tied now. I'll try and post a pic tonight.

I wouldn't worry too much about what synthetics you are using, Alex. 100% unique hair will be fine, as will any of that EP stuff (personally never saw the big draw of EP I mean its a good material but there are dozens more that do the same thing really.)

Good cause that crap is expensive :lol: I really like the unique hair, especially the way it reflects light with that "checkered" effect.