Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

something of interest about crayfish

after we had a brief discussion in another thread, I thought I would post a link here for you trout guys!!! wink.gif

Interesting posts about crayfish...........

In the UK we have (i think) one UK species, and one farmed species which (as an escapee) is in many of our waterways. The escapee is a red, larger than its UK cousin species, and is easy to spot.

On the Dove we seem to have fish far bigger than the river or available food would suggest, so I did little searching on the web.

what do you know?

The Dove has a good head of crayfish (in fact, my local canal, built maybe a couple of hundred years ago and used to ferry freight around, also has crayfish!

We don't use crayfish imitations much on our fly-only stretches of river.

But I wonder how a small crayfish imitation might do?

I wonder if the time has come for a specific crayfish pattern to be utilised in my fishing

What do others think?

Cheers,

David

David,

if your canals and streams are teeming with crayfish...by all means...try a craw pattern. They're a trout favorite in many of my streams and I would think the case may hold true for your British trout and char...hell, anything is worth a shot!! Experiment a little....surely the fish are eating the craws....

Good post chris i am a firm believer in saying that crayfish can catch just about anything that swims,i couldnt even begin to list the species i have caught on crayfish.

SD

Woolly Buggers are used extensively in the UK on lakes when fishing for rainbows and browns.

I'm pretty sure that few fish them as anything other than a general attractor pattern, yet I believe they were designed as a general imitative pattern, and they imitate, amongst other things crayfish (and plaese correct me if I'm wrong someone!).

I've identified 3 rivers which I fish which have a resident population of crayfish.

I've identified the fly I want to use.........

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks for the advice smile.gif

David you are correct,a wieghted bugger in a brown or dark green color fished near the bottom and in short strips can fool many fish into thinkin its a crayfish.

SD

fish it low and deep....in areas where crayfish would normally be found, anyway....you should experience some great success(with the bugger)...especially as the water warms this spring!!