Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BandT

Is it still called a Fly if....

I tie them on lead heads?

I wanted some craw patterns that were not fly rod applicaiton only, as the wife and I fish rivers and lakes for Bass, and wanted to create some ideas for our current casting/spinning rods.

I'm hoping that some of the clouser minnows I've been tying with heavier eyes will work on our ultralights.

I'm currently tying modified leaches, craws, wooly buggers on a jig head that I modified for the pourpose.

Am I welcome here?

Any interest in the patterns?

You are certainly welcome here...that being said I suspect you will get some varying responses.

As far as I am concerned there is little difference between tying on a small jig hook and using a Daiichi with large lead dumbell eyes. Being heavy enough to toss with a spinning outfit might be a little extreme...but who am I to tell you that is wrong, I am sure it will get you in to fish ;)

nope, tie on! I have seen and heard many fly fishing snobs sneer at lead-eye minnows (clousers) as "just jigs." <_< That's when I usually tie on a #2 hook and rig it with a rubber lizard, and squirt some scent formula on it. :P I don't know about those guys, but I'm here to enjoy the day, and it's always more enjoyable with a fish on the end of the line. I've found I can cast heavier clouser minnows and bunny leeches fairly well with our ultralight spinning outfits and 4lb test- about as well as unweighted 4" plastic worms!

I enjoy fly tackle more than any other type, and catching fish with flies or jigs or whatever we make ourselves adds to the enjoyment. I've caught lots of fish on woolly buggers tied on leadhead jigs, fished with spinning tackle. My son is a bit too young and uncoordinated to fly cast, but he's getting good with the UL spinning tackle and light "lures"... he's caught LMB and crappies on leadeye "flies" already this year. Just about any larger subsurface style pattern could be adapted to jigheads... in fact I wonder if bucktail "streamer" flies or bucktail jigs came first?