Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dsaavedra

Olive Diver

glad ya like. i would definitley use them. i havent had a chance to use it yet but i have a great feeling it will succeed. the color schemes for it are endless!!! :lol:

well ya see....because it is turned up at 45° or so, when the fly sits in the water, the fly is level, the eye is up. when you pull it in, the eye is then level cuz its recieving the force of the pull, and that makes the fly postitioned at a 45° angle. This way, it is much easier for the fly to "dig" into the water and wiggle and dive.

hope that answered you question....thats about the best words i can put it in :rolleyes: :lol:

VERY impressive fly (and gallery) for a young fry dsaavedra. I'll give it a try on the smallmouths on the CT River :D .

Gill Buster: Sadly i havent had a chance to fish it yet, but i suppose you could use a slow sinking line. however a standard floating line might be of use because then when you pull the fly in, it dives, but then the flotation of both the deer hair and the line quickly re-surfaces the fly. it is this erratic action that drives bass crazy!!!

VERY impressive fly (and gallery) for a young fry dsaavedra. I'll give it a try on the smallmouths on the CT River :D .

Thank you very much Howie! im very glad that you like this and all of my flies!!!! :headbang:

I would be concerned with the up-turned eye and the length of shank that is turned up. If you draw a line between the hook eye and the beginning of the bend, consider that like the line of the shank. Then look at the position of the point and you have essentially just opened up the gape of the hook beyond parallel. I would be concerned about loosing fish due to this. Instead, I think you would get the same diving results with better hookups if you leave the shank straight and then trim the top of your fly at a steeper angle. Right now it's almost parallel to the shank. Having a tight pack and the steeper angle will force the fly down into the water better.

hmmm the way bass smash lures i dont think you'll have to worry much about loosing hookups. but ill tie a few on a straight shank and see how they do. i found this pattern in an FAOL article, and that is how he suggested to do it. here is the link if ya wanna check it out: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/advanced/part8.html