Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
VERN-O

wing burning stonefly wing cases?

I have a set of wing burners for stonefly wingcases, but everything I've tried to burn look terrible (using tyvek paper)....nothing looks symetrical or even and the edges curl up....anyone got any tips on what I might be going wrong.

I have a set of wing burners for stonefly wingcases, but everything I've tried to burn look terrible (using tyvek paper)....nothing looks symetrical or even and the edges curl up....anyone got any tips on what I might be going wrong.

I don't understand why you are using Tyvek paper. Your best results will be with with turkey tails. After burning the wing cases, make sure you coat them with flexament so they don't fall apart. I personally don't use wing burners; I find that bending the wings in half and cutting the tips of the feathers diagonally work a lot better. =)

VERN-O,

You may want to give raffia (aka - swiss straw) a try as a wing case material. I've used raffia to make all kinds of different wings, wing cases, etc. and it performs nicely in the wing burners (it actually burns instead of melts like some other materials I've used). I posted a set of step-by-step instructions yesterday that may be of use to you.

Here is the link to my post:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?sho...c=23687&hl=

Hope this helps. :D

I use the "church window" feathers from a ringneck pheasant. Just make sure the quill or stem is centred in the burners. I also use a pair of small needlenose pliers to flatten the stem so the feather sits in the burners a little better. Once the shape is burned out, I give it a very slight touch of flexcement or clear nail polish just at the edges. Not too much or they tend to slick down and lose their size and some of the shape. :)

actually these tips are very helpful....I've been using tyvek paper because I recieved a free sample of printed wing cases....it says to burn the edges in a wing burner...but I will try the swiss straw

letumgo, I looked at your tutorial about burning raffia to make mayfly wings and really enjoyed it. I was wondering if you have used these types of wings in actual fishing conditions and if so how do they hold up to casting?

Bob

BobT - Interesting question. I haven't fished a lot with flies tied with the raffia wing yet, since I only started making them this way late last summer. The raffia seems to be pretty durable, so I figure they will hold up just fine.

My main questions with this style wing are the effect they will have on the cast and the leader during casting. In other words, I figure if you make the wings too big, they are likely to create extra drag which will shorten the distance the fly can be cast (the same thing can happen with other materials if the hackle or wing are too big, it can create more drag while the fly is in the air).

Leader twist may be a problem if you tied the wings in as spinner wings (two sets - each pointing outwards from the hook shank). I have not tried "spinner-style" wings because of the worry that the wings will cause the fly to spiral in the air during the cast, which might twist the leader.

To minimize the chance of these things happening, I try to keep the size of the wing fairly small and symmetrical. When if it makes sense for the pattern, I tye the wings in a low across the back of the fly as a V-shaped delta wing (picture the wings on a dragon fly but swept backwards).

I have used the raffia wings on caddis flies (tied low and tight along the back of the fly) and they had no effect on the casing.

Heres a question, anyone use turkey feathers. I was going to spray down some turkey feathers with the 3M Super 77 adhesive and then put them in the wing burners. Do they burn nicely or do they go up in flames?

Letumgo- you need to pick up Shane Stalcup's book "Mayflies Top to Bottom". Many of his dun or spinner patterns use that style of wing. I like to use either Web Wing, Medallion Sheeting, or Spent Wing material when I'm tying these types of flies. I try to stay above a 14 with them, cause they do spin, and more annoyingly, the sound they make as they're going throught he air when casting. Check out that book though, it's worth every penny