Fly Tying
blackdog1101

Phun With Pheasant

I'm sure many of you saw the article in Fly Tyer on tying with a rooster pheasant skin. I host the Fly Tying board for the Minnesota TU website, and thought it would be fun to post some pheasant flies there for others to view, and perhaps copy. For about $10 a guy can tie a lot of flies with a pheasant skin. Many of our readers are new fly tyers, so I try to post new flies about twice per week for people to copy if they so choose. Here are the fly pictures I posted.

Please feel free to drop in on our bulletin board, we're always glad to have new visitors. HERE is the link.

Pheasant Bugger

IPB Image

Winged Wet Fly

IPB Image

Beadhead Pheasant Tail Nymph

IPB Image

Pheasant Tabou Caddis

IPB Image

Pheasant Spey Fly

IPB Image

Pheasant Soft Hackle

IPB Image

Gartside Sparrow (Originated by Jack Gartside - a great fly)

IPB Image

Caddis Egglayer Wet Fly

IPB Image

I'm sure many of you saw the article in Fly Tyer on tying with a rooster pheasant skin. I host the Fly Tying board for the Minnesota TU website, and thought it would be fun to post some pheasant flies there for others to view, and perhaps copy. For about $10 a guy can tie a lot of flies with a pheasant skin. Many of our readers are new fly tyers, so I try to post new flies about twice per week for people to copy if they so choose. Here are the fly pictures I posted.

Pheasant Soft Hackle

IPB Image

Blackdog1101 --

Nice post . . . Nice patterns . . . I especially like that soft hackle!

The only bird I use is pheasant tail fibers; I have refined my craft to a small series of wets and soft hackles that use thread, floss, wool yarn, deer hair, bucktail, and . . . pheasant tail. This list meets all of my fly fishing needs for brown trout, smallmouth bass, and redbreast sunfish; my "Big Three" . . .

-- ron P.

The only bird I use is pheasant tail fibers; I have refined my craft to a small series of wets and soft hackles that use thread, floss, wool yarn, deer hair, bucktail, and . . . pheasant tail.

You know, that is pretty darned sharp!!!!! You get good at one set, refine your methods, keep doing it over and over while getting better and better at those particular flies, and limit your expenditures, all at the same time. That is one of the most intelligent moves I think I have read on any flytying or fishing board I visit. That's not to say I've got enough sense or willpower to do it, but I admire your decision.

Ray

The only bird I use is pheasant tail fibers; I have refined my craft to a small series of wets and soft hackles that use thread, floss, wool yarn, deer hair, bucktail, and . . . pheasant tail.

You know, that is pretty darned sharp!!!!! You get good at one set, refine your methods, keep doing it over and over while getting better and better at those particular flies, and limit your expenditures, all at the same time. That is one of the most intelligent moves I think I have read on any flytying or fishing board I visit. That's not to say I've got enough sense or willpower to do it, but I admire your decision.

Ray

Garsh, Ray! Thanks for the complement!

I really live for swinging the traditional wet fly, soft hackle, and spider along a tree-lined, boulder-strewn, fish-filled freestone stream. It's my absolute favorite form of fly fishing, so I have focused on patterns that fit that fishing style.

(Full Disclosure: I must admit that when it comes to wrapping dry fly hackles, I'm all big toes!)

:lol:

I have focused on patterns that fit that fishing style.

How about posting some of your patterns; I'd like to see them.

Ray

Fatman,

Those are some good websites! Thanks for posting them; I've bookmarked each, read and looked a little and will go back later to read and search more. Lots of stuff there!

Thanks again,

Ray

Thank you for your kind comments about my flies and the Minnesota TU website. There are several people involved in the website, I just host the fly tying section. I claim no special expertise in fly tying, there are others on the site who tie better. I simply try to help others where I can, and try to stimulate others to try tying some new flies.