Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Any ex smokers?

Anyone able to quit smoking? i have been tryin to quite ALOT lately i can quit for a day or two but seems like after that i end up smoking again especialy when i'm at work. If anyone has have you tried any of the junk thats available out there like the patch/zyban/inhaler?

Just wondered if any of that junk is worth tryin or not before i try any of it.

SD smoke.gif

SD,

None of those junks work for me.I've been smoking for at least 30yrs and finally

kicked the habbit. I did it Cold Turkey. All you need is strong determination and

will power.I didnt know its so easy .I should have quit long time ago.What I did is,

threw all lighters,ashtrays and told myself this is it.I QUIT! If you will light up

a cigarrette ,saying this my last,your not ready yet. you know whats the hardest

part of quitting? In my experience the first two months after my last cigarrette.

The widthrawal. I'm shaking most of the time,the craving for smoke is very intense,light headiness, easily fatigued,seems like my house stinks, I felt like I just realesed from

the hospital. Food don't taste right. Irritable. And I can't do my favorite pastime,

Flyfishing/tying. Cause I'm always dizzy. But the reward is a blessing. No more

smokers cough in the morning,food taste better,lower blood press. whiter teeth,

my breathing is better and I can suck that damned thread out of that bobbin biggrin.gif

I'm in the same boat as you SD.

Have tryed to kick the habit and have tried the patch.Seems i would still light up evn with it on.

Insurance won't cover the rest.To damm expensive.

I have notice though the more i tell myself each time i quite.

i can go longer with out one.

Do quite trying man.Were all behind you.

tt

I know almost to the week when I quit smoking. My first son was born 28 yrs ago, and when we starting getting the first baby pictures developed I noticed one with me holding this tiny little boy with a cigarette stuck in my face. My wife never smoked and I said now is the time and threw them out and never smoked again. Was one of the tuffest things I ever did but I believe determination and cold turkey is the surest way.

You can do it but you gotta be ready and determined, trust me you will be glad you did. And with what those things cost these days you can buy the trout rod of your choice in no time with the money you save!

Haven't smoked in years, but when my (ex) wife was trying to give up she used patches.

I went to work one day, felt sick, dizzy, got worse as the day went on - eventually found the patch that had transferred itself from her to my left buttock overnight.

Symptoms were a bit like when you fisrt tried a cigarette.

I'm here to tell you that those things really do contain nicotine!!

my parents quite a few years ago through a support group and a pill don't remember which one though

they also did stuff to keep themselve occupied and kept their minds off smoking

they both sucked on hard candy alot

Hang in there Manny. "This too shall pass".

SD, I quit by initially smoking only when I truly felt the need for it, and eliminating "habit" cigarettes. After a while of this, I eliminated one of the necessary smokes from my day. A while longer I stopped another, and so on until I was done.

I'll be praying for both you guys, (and the rest of you who are quitting) and don't feel bad about the occasional slip up, just don't stop trying. You can do it.

smoking is killing me soflty..slow suicide, but I LOVE to smoke...love the taste, the smell...Maybe I need help, but God help me I love it!!!! Hope you fellas can kick the monkey!! Good luck to ya!!

Thanks for all the encouragment guys it is well taken and manny what you said about "this is the LAST cig" funny that you said that becuase i have had about 3 LAST smokes in the past 2 weeks. I have quite doing things in the past that i thought were alot harder than not smoking but i guess its the fact that smoking is as chris said a "slow death" type thing that makes it seem not so bad.

I know i have to quite and i want to quite but i guess its just a matter of getting it in my mind that i want to quite and not to get into beliefs here,but asking for a little help from above.

we'll see how it go's over the next few days and i'll let you guys know.

SD

Hey SD, I quit in '88 and lasted about 4 years, then got the brilliant idea that I could smoke one again, just for old times sake. It was another 3 years before I quit again, for the last time. Cold Turkey both times. Both sucked.

One trick that I used was to conciously taste the air. When those cravings hit (that odd hollow feeling) I would take a moment to savor the smell and taste of the air I was breathing. After a week or so, it was amazing how good it could taste, and how far it went to satisfying the need.

I coupled that with a vigorous weight loss program, took up walking and then running, which gave my compulsive side something to cling to.

Lastly, look at that pack of cigarettes. A pack a day...that now equals one or two Sage rods a year that you are slowly burning.