Fly Tying
Gran8Rocks68

Homemade EYES

I do something similar with fabric paint, I put them right on the fly, straight from the tube. You can put one colour over the other, wont run. Only takes a second, should let dry 24 hours. Its self leveling but will give a dome effect. I tried putting some on some paper stickers I have. then thought why not just put them on the fly. if you make a mistake you can wipe the paint off and start over again. Its realy just a matter of getting used to the flow of paint from the tube. Once its on you can move it or remove some with bodkin or tissue.

Great idea. Will give it a try when I get dug out from under everything to which I've overcommited at present.

Bill

Here is the first fly I tried the fabric paint on,

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act...amp;showid=3627

They were just painted on as an experiment. I caught a few stripers with this fly and several other strikes. Eyes are still in tact. I tied another fly with mirage dome eyes and super glued, coated with softex and sally Hansen's, one of the eyes came off. I like the paint better, here it is gold glitter, with black pupil.

www.duncancrafts.com, tulip dimensional fabric paint, dries in 24 hours, machine washable in 72. Here is a picture of the stickers I used to make the eyes like you have. I have lots of them, if you would like some send me a pm. You can make the eyes on them cut them out and then use the sticker to hold them in place on the fly

IPB Image

Here are a couple sets of eyes I just made on the stickers. Only took about a minute.

IPB Image

The fabric paint is self leveling, and the colours wont run into each other. I will post another picture of the eyes once they have dried. I made a couple jigs (round holes) for the eyes but found just adding the paint on the fly was the way to go. You can make them any shape you want, and just about any colour. Lots of uses for this stuff.

Here are the eyes once they have dried,a little over 24 hours

IPB Image

Thy are not fancy as I just squirted the paint out of the tube onto the sticker paper. You can see that the colours did not run into each other and that they have a dome shape.

tnx again guys... the delta paint you can do pupils at the same time before it dries i just like the added cone on top then i smooth out the two with nail polish.... haha tell the wife u like the clear on her nails haha

Joe fabric paint i looked at that when i was at the store to.... those gold glitter eyes look outstanding

tnx for that

I've done this with tulip fabric paint and it works well. Read about it in an article in Florida Sportsman awhile back. I bought the thin vinyl you can get in the fabric stores. I cut the eyes out in a teardrop shape and tie them in with a drop of adhesive on the back to hold it to the fly.

Great looking eyes!

has anyone tried to use EZ shape sparkle body yet to make eyes.... it's great stuff.... I'll try to get some pictures up if i can... I just do them right on the fly as needed... I'm always trying to stay away from epoxy for some reason ;)

Gran, ez sparkle body is the same as tulip fabric paint. It even comes in teh same bottle, different label, and tulip comes in more colors

The fabric paint also makes a clear/white medium, that any acrylic paint can be mixed with, to make fabric paint of any colour. There is also a little kit that has several differnt types of nozzel adaptors, empty mixing bottle ect.

I vere away from epoxy as well, I recently got some clear plasti dip, and am looking forward to using it.