Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JSzymczyk

BUZZBY- need dye help!

several of us are looking at dying materials which come in white but not in the "fly" colors we want... These yarns are 100% or nearly 100% Polyester. RIT and the other common dyes I've looked at state on the labels "NOT RECOMMENDED FOR POLYESTER" :angry:

Are there dyes available for polyesters or do the colors need to be put in during the manufacturing process?

Sharpie pens seem to be an option, but results are never uniform and it seems the stink takes a great deal of time to go away.

any advise would be appreciated.

Hi,

Thanks for the dying question. Most of my knowledge centers around organic dyestuffs. The next best thing to knowing an answer is knowing where to find it. I will make some contacts and get back to you.

Hi,

Not so good news first. One source informed me that polyester colors are achieved during the extruding process and not dyed afterwards. Perhaps that explains the Rit statement.

So-so news second. You could contact dye manufacturers with this question and perhaps send a sample of what you want dyed. They are usually receptive to questions and would have the definitive answer.

Hope this helps some. Buzzby

thanks- my limited research also indicated most polyesters and nylons had pigment added during the mixing of the plastics, not dyed in after.

Sharpie pens work, I'll just need to figure out how to reduce the odor, or be willing to wait for it to dissipate over time.

Don't give up yet. There's a book I've got to read again and someone else I can contact. You can, I believe, dye stuff like Super Hair and Unique Hair