Fly Tying
Grunt

Kayak Flyfishing

Anybody else fishing from a kayak? I have had a couple of sit on top fishing kayaks over the past four years. It is a great way to float streams and rivers and to reach places in lakes that others cannot reach. Had to learn to cast sitting down. Right now I'm paddling a Hobie Quest.

In Central Texas and on the Texas Gulf Coast, we fish from kayaks all of the time. You can go where others can't. Kayaking is an enjoyable way to see the scenery while sliding into shallows most boats can't negotiate.

Ray

I probably fish from my kayak about 80% of the time. My home river is the Susquehanna in PA, which is picture perfect for a kayak. My boat is an Old Town Loon 138...good and stable, fairly maneuverable for what it is.

I'm spoiled...my brother-in-law has a kayak fishing operation in Everglades National Park (www.evergladesareatours.com). He loads about 6 yak's on his rigged 28' Carolina Skiff and ferries you up to 50 miles into the 'Glades for awesome fishing.

We've been using Tarpon 120s and Heritage Redfish 12's.

I've been using a 9'9" #7 rod. Anyone else a fan of longer rods when kayak fishing?

I have been using a 9' 7wt fiberglass rod I bought new over thirty years ago. It's kind of heavy and has a slow action but I have caught a whole lot of fish on it. I thinking of getting or making up a stripping basket to keep my line from fouling.

I hope to be a beginner kayak fisherman this year.

I have a question for you experienced member. What would be better, sit on top or sit in?

BFR

I like the SOTs (sit on tops). They are very convenient, comfortable to me, easily rigged if you want to do any rigging at all, and safe. You are sitting on top the kayak; if it rolls or you flip, you will be thrown out, not held inside from the waist down. With your PFD (life jacket) on, you will float to the water surface.

Always wear a PFD (the new name for a lifejacket). Never go kayaking or boating without one!

Bentflyrod, I have been paddling sea kayaks fot over fifteen years before I tryed to fish out of one. First thing I did was lose a rod and reel but I got a good look at the fish.

If you are going to fish a sot will be your best choice. My sot, has waterproof hatches, a holder for my flyrod forward and aft, a anchor system, plastic milk crate aft, a rudder and a safety flag. A rudder is important because with one you can control the boat's drift when you are casting.A 12 or 13 ft sot will weigh around 55 lbs, handle 350-400 lbs and fit in the back of a compact pickup truck. It's all about hull design and deck layout. Go to the best sot fishing site there is at http:// www.kayakfishingstuff.com and start your search.

this is an efficient way to get around were they don't allow motorized boats. some small lakes dont allow boats only kayaks ang float tubes. i still have trouble casting from it though. B)

I use a Perception Sparky, now discontinued.

http://www.kayaker.com/new/products/boat.a...inued&ID=45

. Short and wide, never going to win a speed race, but incredibly stable and can stow a rod in its case along side me. Great for ponds and lakes. I have found loons are not afraid of it, and have had some pop up next to me early in the morning.