Fly Tying
tonika

see how your streamers and salmonflys behave

Hello guys!

In last few years I have developed a Kalax flytesting device. It all started from my intrest to streamers and salmonflies and their behavior under water. I managed to get the device in excellent shape, water goes exactly the way I want. By the time I got the device working I found my self more and more tying flies...well I did that a lot few years ago when I didnt have the device even in my dreams, but now as I said I ty all the time...

Well, reason I decided to write here, was that, I would like to get an information and opinions from other flytyiers about this Kalax device,

( http://www.kalax.net so far we manufactor very small quantitys), in northern europe flyfishers have told me that this is absolutely excellent device to on your desk, but what are opinions in USA !!!???

Please write your comments.

Kindly

Toni Karhukorpi

Finland

Toni,

Looks like it'd be sweet to have, I'm a techno-junkie, always want the newest gadgets. How much is it, looks expensive. Like I said be nice to have, but for the $100+ that it looks like it might cost, you can by a lot of matl's for experimenting tying. Like I said looks sweet, but the cost would definately be the determining factor for me.

Scapegote

tonika,

That is a very unique idea and there has already been a discussion on the forum about the product. I think you need a tester that would write a review for your product and being the forum admin, I volunteer wink.gif

Are these available anywhere in the US?

That does look like a very innovative and useful tool. Depending on the price I may be interested. Can you please shoot me an e-mail or PM to discuss? Thank you in advance,

Wouldn't a garden hose and a wading pool do just about the same thing?

The legendary Ed Haas would test his Steelhead flies in the Salmon River by rigging them to a fly and leader, then climb in the water with a mask and snorkle to observe the action in the current.

I think all Steelheaders should be required to do this as a condition to getting thier license. cool.gif

Hi !

SmallieHunter: That sounds an interesting idea, contact us about that, unfortunately we don´t have any retailers in US, but we are looking for an agent or wholesaler in there, so if anyone can help us with that, we would be very thankful.

TroutBum: Ofcourse a garden hose and wading pool may work as well, but it might be just a littlebit tough to do that in your flytying desk, instead you can use Kalax and you don´t have to set up hose and all, because Kalax is allways ready for you to put your flys in it. And naturally you can see fly from "fishview" right after you made your flys.

At the moment as I said before, we don´t have retailers in US, but estimated retail pricewill be around 200 usd.

Kindly

Toni

I like the idea, but I think I could build something similar, for less... Some plexi glass and plastic tube hooked to a small water pump. Might not have a speed control though.. Just my thoughts.... biggrin.gif

Good Day,

Certainly an interesting concept... I however have several running aquariums of various heights and lengths and currents to boot. I do alot of testing in my tanks (most of the fish are way to small to get hooked... hehehe).

Steelie

Hi

Thank you all for your replys, seems that some like the idea and some not so much, but this was the stuff we were expecting.

The idea when we started developing this device, was to make flytyiers testing as fun and easy as possible, don´t you think it´s nice to see what you have achieved right after finished tying, you can just sit back on your desk and sink your fly to this tank and watch...and hopefully notice that, yes, I did it again. Although we have seen that in Finland even some professionals have discovered that not all flys they made are so perfect as thought...

It´s absolutely not the point to make this "testing" so much a scientifical thing to do, but more like fun stuff to do.

We also belive that if you are passionet enough to read and write in this kind of forums, you probably are quite passionet flytyier and so you might like to have this device on your desk...but then again, maybe we are wrong...

Well, I could write a novel about this, so maybe it´stime to stop here, and maybe some one will continue this discussion....

Thanks again

Toni

Actually, I prefer to river test. Especially when it comes to clarity issues. Response isn't always the main key, it's how it reacts to sunlight and darkened conditions. Which usually true light will only show you. But, the main purpose of tying flies is fishing them. So what better excuse to go fishing is to "test" your fly in the field. Plus, while you're testing the new patterns, you can "retest" the proven.

I fish a different species. Sometimes it's not what it does, just being in the right place at right time. So why not a big issue for me. Plus, can write off a fishing trip to R&D. Beats the heck out of a tank on the desk. biggrin.gif

Toni -- This seems like a pretty expensive toy. A nice toy, but expensive.

I would think it might be worth the money for someone who is real serious about designing flies, but perhaps not so much for someone (like me) who almost exclusively ties flies that others have designed.

For instance, I can't see myself spending $200 to watch the behaviour of a clouser minnow or a bugger I've just tied.

Another notion that strikes me is that many underwater flies, streamers as well as nymphs, are mostly fished dead drift, and the running water of this gadget would be far different from the fly dead-drifting along with the current (in a column of water, sort of like a hot air balloon in column of air) so in effect it is not moving "through" the water.

Maybe a sink or bathtub of agitated water would be a better test of how the fly looks in dead drift. Is the hackle too stiff on the bugger, is there enough marabou, for instance.

I've never really thought about this sort of testing before, so my reaction may be off the mark.

-- Paul

Hello again,

Naturally this is not a substitute to river tests, but when you go to river, dont you think it would be nice to have only the kind of flys in your box, that you absolutely know that are reliable and working well.

One very important thing you can see with this device, is balance, referring to the video in our homepage, there is a fly that looks good, but when you sink it in this device, you can see that its not so good after all. This has happened to even many "professional" flytyier.

About dead drift, sure you can adjust the water speed and create the dead drift with this device that way.

T

No offense Tonika, but can truly tell you know nothing about fishing in the Pacific Northwest, or even throughout the west US. For trout, you may have a point. But for most salmonoids/steelhead you're a bit off base. Of course anyone has their "go to" flies. But I have yet to meet a person who doesn't experiment with new flies. And being a professional fly tier myself, I love to first hand check out flies. For the most part, in the NW anyways, it's not how you tie the fly but getting it in front of them half the time. Case in point. Fished the upper Hoh. 3 of us in my big cataraft. Stopped to fish a slot. We all had fish on, and all on 3 different patterns. All far off base. But all our "tried and true" patterns. So, just having certain patterns don't always mean you'll catch fish. It's knowing how to work it. But what's tried and true for me, may be an experimental for someone else (I was hooking on pink leeches, and at that time you rarely saw people using them). My buddies started using them shortly after, and for them it would be "experimentals". Only way to know if your creation will catch fish is to use them. Knowing how they react in water isn't the main concern. Alot of times, especially up here, is how the profile shows in the clarity of our water. Plus, like I said, I can write off my trip on my taxes as a R&D or take a friend who buys from me and call it a "business trip". Again, like I said, water clarity is a big deal up here. Seeing how a fly works isn't always as important as how well the fish will be able to see it. Why I tie the same pattern in a variety of ways so that it will be clear to the fish in the conditions presented.