Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CTBUGGER

Dog hair

Ok I've told this story before but I'll tell it again just so you don't feel weird but I tied some of the best little blond colored emergers with my son Kenny's first hair cut on accident. I came home and on the table was the best looking bag of cream colored and fine fur I had ever seen in my life but I had just ordered some from a company and was expecting it any day and it was in a small bag like dubbing would be in so I sat down and started tying and just as I was finishing and thinking man I wish I had ordered some more of this stuff my wife yelled from the kitchen "where did the bag with Kenny's first hair cut in it go". I just grabbed my hat and ran as fast as I could for the local watering hole to tell my buddies what I had done and yes I got a butt chewing like nothing else when I got home but man just a couple weeks ago those flies caught a couple really nice trout and I even put a couple pictures in my boys baby book that said caught on the Kenny emerger. So dog hair is completely acceptable and so is anything else you think would work or think is something you already bought just try and come up with something that sounds a bit more believable than... "I really thought it was the dubbing I ordered" or you'll be sleeping on the couch.

Steve

The Dogsbody by Harry Powell.

According to Mike Dawes' book, "The Fly Tier's Companion", Powell was a hairdresser who created the fly using hair from one of his customer's dogs.

A few years ago there was a swap that I was in on here that was based off of something that came from the family pet. I cant remember who ran it but I know that I used yellow lab hair for a shrimp back and there were sever other dog and cat flies sent in I dont think that you are weird at all! but maybe I am :dunno: