Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CapeBSalar

Barbless Salmon/Steelhead hooks available?

Wondering if anyone knows of any barbless salmon or steelhead hooks on the market that are barbless, manufacturer doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance.

I actually emailed the major hook companies and asked if they had any plans on making a barbless salmon/steelhead hook. Since all the rivers in California are barbless only ( and I imagine a majority in Oregon and Washington also) I explained to them there may be a need for such a hook. To there credit all the companies replied very quickly but said the demand was not there for a barbless hook???? Tiemco had a micro barb hook for a while,not sure of the number or if they still make it. I use the tiemco 200r. While it is not to good for speys or larger patterns it is a good hook for smaller patterns. It doesnt have a return eye on it, it has a round straight eye. It does have a great curve to it similar to an Alec Jackson. I also dont think they make it in larger sizes, I know I have it in size 4. Its a great hook for smaller flies though I tie almost all my flies for the Klamath and Trinity on it. If you find something let me know!!! PLEASE!! Kevin

Thanks for the info guys. Reason I'm asking is that I've never seen any and wondered if anyone else had...also that there is a possible resolution on the table this year that Nova Scotia go barbless for Atlantic Salmon. I heard this on another board so I can't confirm any details yet, I'm still looking for more information. I know that parts of Labrador require barbless for salmon.

I know it's easy to pinch a barb, no big deal right, but still I'd like to see barbless models especially as more states/provinces go barbless people that tie flies commerically could really benefit from barbless models. I just don't like the look of sending an order of 3 dozen flies out with pinched barbs, or worse, telling my customer to just pinch the barbs.

I think it's time that the major manufactuers come around and start to supply the market. I really believe that they would catch on.

I'm going to start a poll on the board and see what people think.

Thanks again,

Damian.