Fly Tying
davidafrances

rolltop tying desk

where can i find a custom rolltop desk for fly tying? money's not really a concern, but i don't want to pay more than $5,000. any recommendations? Hunters Angling (nka Stone River) in NH used to sell one, but that was years ago.

If you are serious about wanting a really nice desk and willing to spend actual money for it, this is a project that I would be interested in. One thing I have run into in the past is someone who sees a piece of furniture for $300 and thinks I can build a better one for less money. I have been a professional woodworker over twenty years now. I work full time as an engineer for a kitchen cabinet company, and part time in my shop at home. I take on projects at home not so much for the money as the fact that the project is one that catches my interest. I can provide plenty of references. The design normally starts with the client's ideas, sketches or magazine clippings or other pictures, and then progresses from there as I make drawings for the customer to review. Old fashioned American quality. Cherry is my favorite wood to work with, but I do work with any type of hardwood. This would work fine if you are not in a hurry for your desk; it would be sometime around the first part of next year before it could be completed; I stay pretty busy. I am located in southern Michigan, but can easily arrange shipping throughout the USA. I was thinking of designing a nice fly tying desk so your post caught my interest. I hope it is not inapropriate to offer my services, but it does answer the question I guess. Email [email protected]

David,

I have one much like the Clark model on the site you posted, but it is over 100 years-old and in great shape, beautiful, sturdy and solid after all those years. Its not my tying desk; its my home office business desk. My tying desk is right next to it. I have thought about doing the same as you propose but just haven't gone that route yet.

Ray

David,

I would personally like to apologize for the lameness of the previous suggestions, perhaps if we could just touch the hem of your robe we could live up to your high expectations.