Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Nicolas Goles

A streamer I created...

hi guys, I created this streamer to catch a fish called "Pejerrey" here in South America. The thing about this fish is that it bites the fly from behind , so long tail streamers, zonkers, etc, don't work well. The streamers must be very flashy in order to catch the fish attention.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Do you have any ideas to improve it ?

:)

THanks!

PS: I am just starting to tie ... so It's not very nice, I know

The body and tail of this pattern look excellent; my only suggestion would be to tie up a few with a thicker, yet finer, wing, one that will work within the microcurrents of the river or stream. Test both, and whichever one works best will be the one to add to your permanent collection of core patterns.

htpp://www.ronpswegman.com

nice fly, personally i would make a tiny bit thinner of a body, and add a little tiny bit of marabou on the top, over the peacock, to match the local baitfish.

JZ

I did a couple of variations/updates to this pattern that I will post tonight. One is a #4 with cone style eyes to give the fly a lot of depth. Since I will fish this streamer on a lake, like 6 or even 8 meters down recovering from there. (not from shore, from a boat ), I need the thing to sink fast.

The other variations have a thinner body, I will have to think about adding a bit of marabou over the peacock in the back, it's a good idea :).

Is it too hard to cast something like that with a #5 rod and a SA streamer express line ?? fast action rod.

i have bassed fished with a weighted bunny leach with a bamboo 3 weight :hyst:

and i don't thnk i will ever do that again. but that will be perfectly fine with a 5 weight i think.

JZ

Do you have any ideas to improve it ?

THanks!

PS: I am just starting to tie ... so It's not very nice, I know

I think you have a good idea with this fly, now you need to refine it. Here is my two cents, for whatever it's worth:

1. Lighten up on the the maribou in the tail you have too much, a little maribou goes a long way.

2. A couple of strands of Crystal Flash in the tail would be a good addition.

3. A layer of silver tinsel under you pearlescent body material would brighten it up.

4. A hackle collar would balance the underside of the fly and provide extra movement int the water.

5. Dump the Peacock Herl wing and use Peacock Sword, it would look much nicer.

Make the head a wee bit smaller.

Hi guys! holy, I haven't been around lately so I didn't read all this suggestions until now! :)

Well i have been working on the streamer, the thing is that it needed a lot more weight for the places I will be fishing. ( the fish are located like 3 meters to 6 or sometimes more meters deep ). So I did a similar streamer, with more weight in the eyes, in a number 4 hook. I think it could work. I will try to make more and follow your suggestions because they are great :).

Anyways , here's what I have been tying lately:

The previous streamer but weighted eyes in #4 hook:

IPB Image

IPB Image

The same idea of the previous streamer but chain eyes in #6 hook with some flashabou:

IPB Image

IPB Image

A pheasant tail, not for this trip... lol

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Some midges in #14 hooks, not for this trip....

IPB Image

Well I have been tying for a month or so, so please don't be harsh :unsure:

IPB Image

Nice lookin flies.Your second fly-I think the blue flash could be shortened a bit.When you strip it,the flash could get caught in the bend of the hook and your fly wont fish correctly.

Midges and nymphs look great.Keep em coming!

Oh by-the-way,no one is going to harsh(like beat ya with a wooden stick harsh).Everyone was a begginer once and you only learn from practice.

I would suggest using the natural end of the marabou feather for the tail... from the pics it appears as if the tail has been cut to length, giving it a "paintbrush" look. The natural ends will give a nicer shape and action. That's just my two-cents, and if the flies are working, no changes are needed!