Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flykid

Original Adams

I was looking through my copy of McClanes Standard Fishing Encyclopedia and came across the adams. When I looked at it I realized that it had golden pheasant tippet tails. I looked up the original dressing for the adams on the internet and found the original adams was tied with spent style wings and with 2 gp tippet tails. Does anyone still tie them like this? Heres the one I tied.

IPB Image

IPB Image

flykid,

If I remember correctly, the original Adams was tied semi-spent winged, not fully spent. I may be wrong about this, however. Bergman's Trout lists it tied either upright or spent winged. There have been so many variations over the years of this successful fly.

Here's some insight:

Adams

Mark

PS-If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

The original Adams is listed as a wet fly in several volumes also. I tie a variation I call the Wet Wool Adams, and this pattern in size 12 lured a brown trout to my net just this past Sunday!

:)

Soft-Hackle, I do see where it says semi-spent. Of all the original patterns I've seen there are different material lists. Now I'm not sure exactly what the original pattern looked like. :dunno:

flykid,

As in the pattern recipe in the link I sent, the wings were tied in a wide V--semi-spent made of Grizzly hackle points. Thread-black; Tail Golden pheasant; Gray muskrat dubbing for the body; Hackles -one red-brown and one grizzly mixed.

The original pattern was originally tied as a dry fly even though wet versions exist.

Mark

Ya thanks for that link. I got pretty close. I don't have any black thread small enough unfortunately and I see what you mean by semi spent. I'll have to attempt it again.