Fly Tying
Skip48

First Fly not Using Foam

So what do you fly guys think? Also if anyone wishes to point me in the direction of a fly rod and reel that is good, but not totally costly I would appreciate it. I am thinking of something around a 5 or 6 Wt. since I want to use it for Bass, Crappie and Bream and the latter 2 the most.

Here is a pic....

IPB Image

i think that the fly is good the hackle is a little bit long but other than that it is a good fly and good fly rod for bream and crappie is a orvis clearwater or the streamline i had a streamline and i loved it but for bream and crappie you might want to go a little smaller like a 3 wt or a 4 wt

I would try to make both body sections the same length, shorten the hackle and tie some with wings. either hackle tips or clear plastic, delta style. If these flies are for panfish an addition of rubber legs at thorax should drive them nuts. Great colour combo!!

If you are going to be concentrating on the smaller panfish you will have a lot more fun with a smaller weight rod, (3 to 5 weight). TFO makes some nice rods with a great warranty, even give Steeldrifter a pm with the flies you will be using. I think matching your flies you will be casting to your rod/reel, line /leader set up will determine the best type rod action.

I sent Sage an email with some pictures of the big heavy streamer flies I use for brown trout, they gave me a rod reel combo suggestion. I took there suggestion and could not be happier.

Nice fly....I usually cut back the hackle after it's tied just to get a stiffer irregular looking leg....that way I use up some of the longer hackles that I have no other use for. ..& also balance out the body and make the two segments very obvious. Catch those fish :)