Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RoyGPA

Hello from Pittsburgh, PA

My name is Roy, I live just south of Pittsburgh, PA USA and I fish primarily for warmwater species in the rivers and lakes around western Pennsylvania. I have tried fly fishing off and on in the past but I am going to give it a more serious try this summer. I plan to fish for holdover trout on the lower, lower section of the Youghiogheny near Smithton, PA and while there try for small mouth bass and maybe walleye. I tied flies 30 plus years ago, but had no talent or resources like there are available today.

I like advice on a beginner/beginner deluxe fly tying kit. I figure I could use the flies I make for panfish, bass and in the winter for fly fishing. Which is a better kit the #300 Deluxe Fly Tying Kit or the Umpqua Deluxe Fly Tying Kit. I'd most likely buy it here at the J.S. Stockard site so as to support this forum.

I have an old fiberglass fly rod that I bought for 5 bucks at Sears in about 1975, and my buddy tells me it about a 7 weight. It has 40 year old floating line on it that surprisingly still floats. I caught about 20 baby small crappies on it last week at Pymatuning Reservoir on what I have since discovered was a small Clouser Minnow.

My family just bought me a graphite 5 weight combo with floating line from Gander Mountain for Fathers Day. I figure it will work for the trout, bluegills and the occasional small bass.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Roy

Roy, I sent you a private message.

Also, I really don't like the kits. Most of those kits are geared toward trout flies and at that give you JUST enough to get started. My suggestion would be to get a decent vise and some other tools like bobbin (and threader), Hair Stacker, Hackle Pliers, and Whip Finisher or Half-Hitch Tools. Find some stuff you would like to tie and buy the materials for those types of flies. Much of the time you will actually save yourself some money by doing this and you won't have a bunch of materials for which you will have no use. One more thing, I really don't think that there is any substitute for having someone show you how to get started. A good flyshop (as the one I mentioned in the private message that is in your area) will point you in the right direction in both equipment selection and beginning techniques. Find your local Trout Unlimited chapter and go to a meeting or two. There should be more than a handful of people there that would be willing to help you first hand in starting your journey (addiction) in fly tying. Heck, if you're up to a little drive, I'll help ya out myself! Hope this helps.