Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Funnel30

Whats the difference in wire?

Wire is one of those items I purchase from anyone other than a flyshop. It seems like every kids toy and electric motor is chock full of the stuff, just crack open the guts and see what color it has.

On the Internet, raw copper wire is much cheaper at an electronics supply house, usually it's called "magnet wire."

I did a quick piece on the subject on my blog, it doesn't answer your question, but it may provide a little food for thought.

34 Gauge and 36 Gauge are the sizes we use in fly tying.

Wire is one of those items I purchase from anyone other than a flyshop. It seems like every kids toy and electric motor is chock full of the stuff, just crack open the guts and see what color it has.

On the Internet, raw copper wire is much cheaper at an electronics supply house, usually it's called "magnet wire."

I did a quick piece on the subject on my blog, it doesn't answer your question, but it may provide a little food for thought.

34 Gauge and 36 Gauge are the sizes we use in fly tying.

I had a big switch of some kind go out on my AC about a month back and I looked inside the burnt piece of junk and there was some copper windings and I broke it open and stripped it off and way more than filled an empty thread spool. I do know the ultra wire comes in colors other than copper and it is Non–tarnishing copper. SO I have some of both the ultra and recovered from a winding.

Skip