Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dart

I don't know what I'm doing...

So I have a confession to make: I've only ever made about 15-20 casts with a fly rod. Ever. Although I'm 28 years old and grew up fishing, all of my experience comes from ultra-light spinning reels and ~4.5' graphite rods. Fishing on rivers and lakes in Alabama, our primary targets have always been bluegill / shellcracker / bream. A few years ago my dad and I went fishing and he started to teach me to fly fish. Unfortunately, the wind picked up and we were unable to finish our lesson.

My little brother (Nealbo - a member here) has so generously provided me with a plethora of materials, some of which can be seen here (My fly tying pictures). Over the past six months, I've been dragging my feet to get started for various reasons. I guess the main reason is because I don't feel like I'm very good and I expect perfection from myself - even when it comes to something I have NO experience doing. I've swallowed my pride and decided I'm ready to learn!

Another exciting note: In three weeks, my wife and I are moving to Chapel Hill, NC! What a better time to take up fly fishing (something I've always wanted to learn to do) and fly tying! There seems to be a store nearby (Great Outdoor Provision Co.) where I can get fly tying materials and even take fly fishing classes. My wife has agreed it would be a fun endeavor, so I'm pumped!

I've lurked here a while, and read a lot of information. I'm looking forward to learning more and more as I continue on this journey. I've only tied eight flies by myself ever. You can see my latest attempt here... something I whipped up tonight. I didn't have any medium brown hare's dubbing made up, so I used the black dubbing and thought a golden pheasant tippet would look good as a hackle.

I know there is a LOT I could improve on and I will have many questions along the way. So thanks in advance for putting up with me. ;)

- Jeff

I replied in your other thread as well. I think your flies look very well done, especially for you being new as you say. Those are fishable flies that would hold their own in most any comparison. Don't worry about perfection in fly tying. As I said in your other thread, it's so widely subjective, and that on the basis that most flies are critiqued based on the fisherman's opinion of it. I've seen some ratty looking flies catch plenty of fish. Most of what we tie, we tie for ourselves, and I think what we tie, and the manner in which we tie it says alot about how and why we fish...but that's a whole other discussion.

Welcome.

Jeff

Thanks for the replies. :D

I've seen some truly magnificant flies posted here and I hope to come close to that one day. I'm really enjoying learning the art of fly tying although I'm taking baby steps. Fish aren't that picky... they'll eat a hotdog on a hook if you present it right. ;)

I'm going to have to disagree with Jeff and suggest that you should try to tie a perfect fly every time. You won't, but that shouldn't keep you from trying. That is the only way you will improve.

Welcome to the Forum, Jeff.

Your hackle on the Spider looks fine. I think the hackle on soft hackle flies should be long. They have more action in the water. I really like your Golden Nugget Hare's Ear. I may try that pattern myself. I really think that's may be a deadly pan fish pattern.

Once you have the tying basics down, it's a matter of tying dozens of different patterns that develops your tying skills. Looks to me like you have a good start.

The same goes for fly fishing. Learning to cast isn't that difficult. The people at that shop shpuld be able to get you started without much trouble. Then it's a matter of doing it that develops your skills. I've taught childern as young as nine years old to fly cast. So don't be concerned about giving it a try.

Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm itching to tie some flies something fierce at the moment. Unfortunately I'm stuck at work.

Saturday is generally very slow here, so I've brought The Orvis Fly-Tying Guide by Tom Rosenbauer with me and I plan to sit here and read as much of it as I can. Between that and the forum, maybe I can make it to the end of the work day. :D