Fly Tying
Fly Tyer Guy

This Is Ridiculous!

Good Day,

I too really like these small threads. not only for small flies but even up to size 14. Less bulk and better flies for me. Not to mention how they are invaluable to the realistic tyer! Got to hide those thread wraps!

Steelie

Yeah, I don't know what I would do without it!

Thread Brand/ Aught Size/ Material/ Denier/ Breaking Strength/ Thickness (.000)

UNI Caenis 20/0 mono 20 3 oz 1.7

Gudebrod 10/0 polyester 45 9 oz. 1.0

UNI Trico 17/0 nylon 40 5 oz 2.0

Danville Spiderweb N/A mono 30 5 oz 2.0

With a greater breaking strength, finer diameter, and a range of colors, I'll stick with Gudebrod 10/0. It's too bad, though, that Gudebrod closed the thread shop in Pottstown.

hi all

i have used the ceanis thread it is a single strand of polyester and in my opinion very hard to work with you cant lay into it at all

i like using the trico thread it is fine enough and you can lay on a little more pressure

all the best

john

I have a friend who uses the very fine threads for salmon flies, very small heads are his goal.

The white tread is easily colored with marking pens.

Regards,

FK

I have a friend who uses the very fine threads for salmon flies, very small heads are his goal.

The white tread is easily colored with marking pens.

Regards,

FK

Same here.

New Id, old member.

I like GSP for deer hair.

I use FlyMaster+ and Uni 8/0 exclusively for salmon flies. I buy white flymaster+ and black 8/0

uni by the box.

I tie the entire fly with flymaster+ and switch to uni 8/0 to set the wing and finish the fly. Small heads come from thread control not small thread. don't get me wrong I am not knocking the small threads, but they are not required for nice bodies and small heads.

7/0 - jockScott from 1999. A fly that gets pretty crowded towards the head.

post-12324-1190512261_thumb.jpg

3/0 hook - a no name fly tied using the first series of "micro-cables" as ribbing. A much smaller hook/fly than above using the same threads

post-12324-1190512787_thumb.jpg

I was referring to the salmon flies (and comments) with the above threads. I also use many other threads (just not for salmon flies) - it depends on what you are tying.

The flymaster+ is 237 denier, but you can untwist and flatten it to near transparent.

I would tie the entire fly with it, but it sucks for setting wings. Flat threads have a tendency to "roll" the wing, the uni does a better job of compressing it.

take care

I use 18/0 spider web for tying and snelling 32's and would love to give this a try. I tie and fish 28's a lot and find 12/0 or silk great. BTW...I'm always looking for #32 Mustad if anyone has any lying around in their junk box, I'd sure love to buy them or trade for them. Thanks. Gunner