Fly Tying
pickin6ofem

Surf fishing in So. Cal

I just started surf fishing last year and Last week i caught my first halibut!! The fish wasn't big but it was fun never the less. I did manage to hook a big one, but he snapped my 8# test. Ahh the fun of saltwater fishing , you never know what you're gonna get. I'm still trying to get my first Corbina but man thoes fish are spooky!! maybe next season.

Any way i just wanted to share. Oh and I posted a saltwater swap, if anyone wants to join I would Love to fill the swap up.

Justin

JUSTIN,

Kudos on the Halibut.. they are Great fighters in the Surf.. just make certain they don't bite you in the Finger when you're trying to remove the Hook..(It Flippin' Hurts when they sink those Peg teeth right thru your Fingernail..). If you'd like to optimize your chances for the Biggest halibut off the Beach.. just keep track of the Grunion Runs...

As to CORBINA, they are never Easy.. you've missed the "Holy Time" for Corbina this Year.. which usually runs from Mid May thru Early August.. the Corbina are in shallow and are targeting the Sandcrab babies.. (we call them "Rice Krispies").. This Year found us getting More Corbina while they slid into the Skinny water to have ago at the Crab beds... we Learn abit more about them Every year.... but still Corbina are tougher to get to take the fly then Bonefish..... ;)

DEAN ~~~ B) B)

Hey thanks for the tips, Where do you live? Do you ever hit Long Beach?

I'm always up to meet new people and go fishing.

Also thanks for jumping in the salt swap

Justin

Hey thanks for the tips, Where do you live? Do you ever hit Long Beach?

I'm always up to meet new people and go fishing.

Also thanks for jumping in the salt swap

Justin

JUSTIN,

I live in the Beautiful San Fernando Valley.... :P

I occasionally make it down to Long Beach, but I'm usually out in my friends 21 foot Center consul targeting Bonito, Barracuda, Mackerel, Calico Bass, etc..

I've not fished the beaches down there yet... But Belmont Shores & Alamitos bay are inviting (I've seen them both from the Boat).. Probably oughta arrange a drive down there sometime soon, perhaps we can meet up.... ;)

I've been fishing the So Cal Surf since the late 80's.. so if I can assist, just ask... :headbang:

DEAN ~~~ B) B)

Hey, this is exciting, local guys on the FTF!!! Hey Dean, good to see you here! We should arange a time to all get together and fish the salt, all three of us.

BTW, Dean, the steelhead photo you have hanging in the shop is the cover shot for the Nov/Dec American Angler magazine...cool stuff.

Graham

Hey I would love to get together and fish the salt. Hey Dean thanks for the offer I will most likely pick your brain form time to time. Man I wish I started surf fishing back in the 80's. I live in the beautiful city of Pomona, only about 45 minutes away from the beaches so i figured 8 hours round trip up to the Sierras (which I do several times a year) or 2 hours round trip to the beaches. So I guess I'll try my luck in the salt. More time fishing and less time driving.

Let me know and I would be happy to meet up with both of you and fish together.

Justin

Hey Justin, I'm in Burbank, 20 minutes drive with no traffic to Pomona, and two hours on a bad day...lol... I keep reading good reports about the beaches in Ventura county? But Dean has the inside track on the salt scene... Anyway, I'd be very interested in a Kern trip, real soon... I realize I need to take more photos, now that I have a magazine cover shot.

Graham

Wow cover shot, thats awesome which mag? Burbank not far at all in distance but you said it..... that traffic. sounds good to me.

GRAHAM,

Mark Dec. 2nd thru the 5th for the Kern, my annual Dec. trip is then.

Kudos on the Cover shot, that's Great Photo, the Customers Love it.

JUSTIN,

Yeah, one can't always get 4 -5 days away to fish the Sierras, but one can certainly afford 4 to 5 hours on the Swing of a Tide... And, the ocean isn't effected by drought conditions.... ;)

Hey Dean, my calendar is marked, and a week or so after I get back from NY on Nov 11th, I'll tell wifey... Here's a pic of one of my favorite spots on the mighty Kern.

IPB Image

Went to Long Beach today, Started on Coast line and Landed 5 Halibuts! Nothing over 12" but still a blast. Later went over to the bay side. Spotted a few Corbinas, Launched a cast and Bamb!! I was bit. At first I thought it migh be a decent Halibut and then I saw it A Corbina fair hooked. Fought the fish for a few minutes and then beached him. I didn't get a picture but it sure was awesome!!! Went down the beach father and spotted a bunch of Corbinas in just a few feet of water, they must have been dozens!!!!! they were everywhere. I then relized how spooky they really are. I tried to lead one of them with my cast, he saw it & turned on it I stripped, he followed I waited and bam I was on again. No sooner was I on and.... Gone. after that I did manage a few more Swing & a misses. Landed a Sculpin and called it a day. What a blast I can't wait to get out again.

All fish landed on flies I tyed!!!

Justin

That's Great JUSTIN!!!! Kudos and high fives on your first Legit hooked Corbina!!!!! (I've fouled more then I've legit hooked, but that goes with the territory)

Now you'll spend your days fixated on getting that Next Corbina to eat your Fly... You're Toast... :yahoo: B)

GRANT,

Shall I book a Double Bed Room for us at the Riverview???

DEAN ~~~ B) B)

Yea Dean you're right I am toast. I can't wait to get back out and see what the sea has to offer me next.

I really didn't think I would land one for a while, maybe a couple of seasons. But you know the saying i'll take luck for now try to devlope some skill 'cause I don't think the next one's are going to be that easy :blink:

Justin

Wow, that sounds like BLAST Justin!!! Beans and Butts on the fly, I need to start tying some flies for the salt.

Hey Dean, who is Grant... lol... Are you driving up Sunday morning and returning Wed night? 3 nights? Sure sounds like fun. Lets do it, and if for some reason I can't make it, I'll still pay for my bed, unless it becomes occupied....

Wow, that sounds like BLAST Justin!!! Beans and Butts on the fly, I need to start tying some flies for the salt.

Hey Dean, who is Grant... lol... Are you driving up Sunday morning and returning Wed night? 3 nights? Sure sounds like fun. Lets do it, and if for some reason I can't make it, I'll still pay for my bed, unless it becomes occupied....

Sorry about that GRAHAM The Doctor made me cut back on Coffee and that was the end result. :wallbash:

Grant is a Good friend who's Life I have "Ruined" by getting him into Saltwater Flyfishing...

I'll call up John at the Riverview and book Sunday Night thru Weds Morning... I think it's Still $70 Bucks for a double bed Room... If you can't make it, I'm certain I can get someone to pick up the Time...

We'll see... The Flows and Weather oughta be Rockin' right about then... The Water Level will be abit lower then last year at that time, but not Lethally Low....

Sorry about the Name Mix Up, but calling you Grant isn't bad.. if I had called you "Ol 7 Flies" you'd have a Good reason to be pissed... ;)

DEAN ~~~ B) B)