Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dart

Perkin's Ideal

I wrapped an underbody, which I think helped me with the floss... but I guess I didn't lay down enough thread. I'll work on that for my next tie. Thanks for the tip FlyTyerGuy.

Jeff,

BIG improvement over Nos. 1, 2 and 3 especially! The head looks pretty darned good to me -- definitely not oversized at all. I think you could benefit from some more appropriately-sized ostrich herl. Shoot me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you some.

You might also want to get some flat Mylar tinsel. Most of the ribs on classic wets call for flat tinsel, not oval or round. The secret is getting a tinsel that's small enough. I use UTC gold/silver Mylar, size X-SM.

All the best,

John

Sounds awesome, John! I'm actually not using tinsel at all... but small gold ultra wire. It makes it a little tougher to keep the floss smooth at the butt junction, but I've been practicing. I did pick up some XSM UTC Mylar Tinsel and I'll be using that on my next attempts.

I'd recomend using 70 denier UTC it is very flat and makes smooth bodies.

If you spin your bobbin anti-clokwise with UTC thread you undo the twist in the thread and you can get it to lie very flat. Similarly you can collate the thread by spinning it clockwise again.