Fly Tying
jjtroutbum

Tying sz20 soft hackles

somebody on another forum said that it would be torture so...

I tried it out.... lol

IPB Image

IPB Image

Needs longer hackle. smoother tapered body. The original pattern used peacock so I did one of those also, but I have had luck in the past with a simple thread body. I usually tie em like that except in sizes 12 through 16

Thanks

<any tips/tricks you wanna pass on?>

Hmm well I guess try and try again . ;)

<What kind/size of thread are you using?>

I should use smaller however I rarely tie this small.

Danville's 210 waxed

Uni-Stretch 1x300 Green

JJ

JJ, great ties!! Welcome to the 'self-inflicted-torture' group! After a dozen or so, you'll have it down to a science. Using smaller diameter thread (8/0, 10/0 and 17/0) will make life easier on ya as well.

For me, the smaller the pattern goes, the smaller denier thread I use. I try to use the finest thread possible -- one I'm comfortable using, one that will minimize both thread bulk and hefty thread heads. I try to stick to the method of finishing the head of the fly no wider than the width of the eye of the hook. Narrowing the thread head on a small soft-hackle also allows you to wrap more hackle onto the the hook shank -- if that's deisred. I remember AK Best saying that that you can often judge the quality of a tie by looking at the head of the fly...

Here's a photo of what I'm trying to describe. It's a #18 Micro Soft-Hackle, similar to Ed Engles pattern. It is tied on a Grip Barbless hook (11011BL). The hackle here is a ringneck pheasant aftershaft feather.

IPB Image

Yep I need smaller thread and some midge scissors gonna take care of that tomorrow. Anyone wanna recommend some quality hackle pliers that might allow me to be a little more delicate with tiny partridge hackles. While I am at the shop I might as well look into those also ;)

So here is tonights self torturing project. Really wanted to make this a partridge and orange, but starling was the defunct hackle since I kept breaking the first choice in hackle. <_<

IPB Image

IPB Image

Notice that the body is much improved and the head is smaller but not perfect yet. However I was so pleased with the taper. I screwed up the first turn of the rib. Heck If they were perfect I wouldn't be tying fishing flies I would be tying art.

" NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT". Jerry Seinfeld :j_k:

Thanks for all of the help/ constructive critiques keep em coming because the little softies will.

JJ

There is a method of hackling small soft hackle flies using oversize hackle that involves tying in the hackle and then pulling it through until you have the correct length. It's described (with pictures) in Nemes latest book on soft hackles, along with a lot of small soft hackle patterns.

Tried it and it works very well.

Don't know of any special hackle pliers for very small hackle, but I've tried the small version of English hackle pliers and that seemed to work ok. I don't tie very many small flies, hard with 10 size 2/0 thumbs.

Those are looking great JJ!! You'll start to tie every one of your favorite patterns that small when you start catching fish on those teeny flies!!

Found/remembered a better method for hackling after looking at a few of Softhackle's posts /flies but its not the pull one actually one of the many things I have used years ago and forgotten.

I really should get Nemes's books or at least my own copy. Ill add it to the list

IPB Image

JJ,

What size are those hooks? I am tying some nymphs, 10 through 16s and wanted to go even smaller. I'm getting older so seeing the smaller flies, etc. is more difficult, but I use magnifiers and really enjoy trying.

The hackle here is a ringneck pheasant aftershaft feather.

Kev,

What is an "pheasant aftershaft feather?"

Also, is that fly's gold body thread?

Thanks!

Ray

Ray the flies featured are sz20's most of the others in the box are 13's tied smaller about a 18 or 16 I would guess. I like using the black tiemco dry fly hooks. I think the black hooks are a little less flashy or more stealthy. Guess its just come down to a personal preference,but enough cant be said about ones confidence in the flies that they are using.

Thanks for the book link also.

JJ

Hi,

I suggest hen feathers for the smaller sized hooks if you can find them. Also some starling feathers get quite small if you search the skin and they come in grays and black. Also Brahma hen necks (Not backs) offer some smaller hackles and are a fair substitute for partridge. It's difficult to find hackling for the tiny hooks. I've also used a turn or two of ostrich herl. I've not seen Nemes' book on tying small and will be looking for it

Mark