Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CapeBSalar

SAEN Lee Wulff Fly Tying Contest Revival

Hi All,

I sent an inquiry to SAEN (The Salmonid Association of Eastern Newfoundland) http://www.saen.org/ , regarding their annual Lee Wulff Fly Tying Contest. It hasn’t run in the last year or so due to lack of interest and overall participation. They responded rather quickly and indicated that perhaps in the future if enough interest is shown they may look at starting the contest again.

I’m wondering if anyone would be interested in writing to SAEN with intentions of showing interest in a revival of the contest for next year.

I for one would like to see this contest revived, I’m hoping that if enough people write them and express interest they may re-open the contest.

Thank you all for your consideration, you can contact the folks at SAEN by filling out the on-line form here…. http://www.saen.org/contact.html

All the Best,

Damian.

Damian, i would be very interested in helping out if it were a "Donation" type a deal. Flies sent in to help raise money for the fish. I am not however, interested in a contest. If they are trying to raise money for the resource, i'm "IN!" But if it's just a contest.....no way Jose'. mark..... B)

Mark,

I believe in the past contests all the flies were retained and used as auction items to raise funds for their conservation projects. I'd have to confirm this, but I'm about 99% sure.

It's all good. Thanks for posting Mark.

Damian : You are right-all flies were retained by SAEN and have been or will be used to raise funds for salmonid conservation at auctions etc . I sat as a judge for the competition and also am a SAEN Board member ......Frank

I am interested. Also, Frank the fly tiers meeting is the last thursday of each month right? So that is next thursday?

Thanks, -Phil

I thought I might be hearing from you on this Frank. I hope you don't feel that it is out of line. I'm just real keen on generating some more interest in the contest.

What are your feelings on the subject?

Feel free to PM me, did your flies arrive yet?

Phil:Fly tiers' get together is on tonight,Thursday at 7:30 at the SAEN office.

Damian: Your flies have not arrived yet . I'll send you a PM re the competition . BY the way if I can return your kind gesture with acouple of Newfoundland flies just let me know . I'd be only too glad to do so.......Frank

I'll bet you'd do a LOT better by just simply putting out a call for flies to be sent in for SAVE THE SALMON auctions..........or whatever. If you had a volunteer to take responsibility for tracking the flies........(who won them and how much was raised)..........MOST tyers would be very appreciative of a tax form to show a charitable donation. They could send in an apporoximate value WITH the flies and then you could reciprocate a tax form. Simple enough. mark

CapeBSalar

well I'm not a Salmon fly expert but am always up for a challenge..recently been playing in this field.

sound like an interesting contest.........I tie cuz I enjoy it not for the medals

For sure, I tie firstly for myself and my own feeling of accomplishment and I really love tying flies, everything else is secondary.

Hopefully the contest will be revived.