Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
pacres

Has this happened to you?

I was fishing a local spot a couple days ago, and I though that I had a fish on. When I tried to set the hook, it felt like a weed, so I begain to retreive. My line came up with what looked like a weed clump, but then started moving. There were 2 crawdads attached to my bh wooly bugger. Very strange, considering I had no idea there were craws in the pond I was fishing.

post-2-1082469149.jpg

That a new one on my pacres, that's two funny laugh.gif

Looks like you need to start using some crawdad patterns in that pond wink.gif

Last May I was fishing Ninigret Pond on the coast of Rhode Island, waiting for a cinder worm swarm to begin. I killed some time by casting a small clouser along a current seam where the tide was pulling a bit stronger. I must have let the fly get right near bottom, because I brought in a crab that had the clouser firmly held in its claws. I can say that that's the only time I've ever had anything like that happen to me.

Weird. blink.gif

They're pretty quick and fiesty. I've had them hit fast retrieved Hot'n'Tots too. Many of our trout streams in Michigan have them and are often the preferred meal of large trout.

Have had that happen many times,one spot i fish right below a dam on the au sable if you stand in the rocks to long they will pinch your feet theres so many of them little buggers unsure.gif

Steve,

What the hell are you doing standing in the river bare foot? blink.gif I thought they only did that in Kentucky biggrin.gif

Cool

I never knew it happened so often. The really weird thing is that I have fished that pond for years and never knew they were there. I have seen them in other ponds, but there is always the tell tale sign of old shells along the shore.

I might try a craw pattern, but the pond killed a couple years ago, and the biggest I hve seen out of this trout pond is about 12 inches.

Pacres dont let the size of the fish keep ya from tryin a craw pattern,you would be supprised at how a small fish will attack a crawdad....i have caught fish as small as 8" on a 3-4" crawdad.

Never had crayfish attack a fly before, however I did "catch" a 5" freshwater clam on a crank bait 10 years or so ago.

Pretty interesting thing to happen though.

QUOTE (sandflyx @ Apr 21 2004, 07:53 PM)
walkin in the stream barefoot......shame on you for poluting................ biggrin.gif

Just soap up good before i enter the stream and i'm clean for the next week shocking.gif laugh.gif