Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Odessa

Dyna king barracuda

I can't say anything bad about them. It's what I tie on, and I went through alot of them to get to it. I like the norvises too, when i bought my Cuda' they had a slippage problem with bigger hooks. But that has been corrected. But, you can't go wrong with them.

PS, look in my avatar. wink.gif

I had one and recommend it.

Before purchasing, I would suggest you tie a few on one and see if the notched jaws are something you can work with.

Pros:

1. True rotary and can be adjusted to rotate on center for a good size range of hooks.

2. Cam locking jaws instead of twisting a screw (this was an inconvenience for me).

3. Well built.

4. Great customer service.

Cons:

1. Took me a while to get use to the notched jaws, especially when switching sizes of hooks.

2. A stay-at-home vise; in my case anyways.

I use Dyna-King's Kingfisher as my traveling vise and am quite pleased with it. I'm not going to state my at-home vise in an effort of avoiding be chastised wink.gif

Again, tie before you buy.

I tie on the barracuda jr. trekker and it's a great vise. My only complaint about it is that it does not hold small hooks as well as I'd like. If I'm going to be tying a bunch of small stuff I get out the renzettti. They do make midge jaws for the cuda but the renzetti is just sitting in my travel case so I'm not really to motivated to buy a set.

Don't pass it up, especially if you can find one at a more reasonable than suggested retail price- it'll probably service you far better than you expect. As for the cam lock feature, that's a matter of comfort/choice; I'd probably take that one over a knurled wheel tightening system, as that's the type of vise clamp I used for more than thirty years with my Thompson Ultra. Even if you grabbed a Trekker or Kingfisher, either one would probably do almost everything you want it to, short of MONSTER hooks, of course.

Hey, Sailor! Regarding the 'Black Knight' of "Stay-At-Home" Vises- tongue.gif

wink.gif (Gimme a buzz!)

I have one and love it. My first vice was one of those chceap ones that you get in a case. Then I up graded to the 'Cuda. I really have not look'd at any other vise beside's the Norvise, which my dad has. But you won't go wrong in buying one.

Add me to the list of DynaKing fans. I got one recently after experience slippage problems with the Renzetti on larger hook sizes, and haven't looked back. I still have the Renzetti as my travel vise, but the vise I now tie all of my production work on is the DynaKing Barracuda.

Just one question... and I have looked in various cataloges...but am still confused between the "trekker" and the "Junior" and how do they stand up against the Regular large baracuda.

I love my Barracuda...

The Jr Trekker is a newer model...I'm not even sure they are marketing the Jr anymore.

I upgraded from a fixed position Regal and it took some getting used to with the notched jaws - but now I can tie my ridiculous 8/0 striper flies quicker and more securely.

Actually, there are all three of the Cuda lines. The Junior trekker is the smallest and has plastic knobs on it as opposed to the machined metal knobs on the full sized and trekker models. I have actually ordered a few of the junior trekkers recently. Nice thing they are very light and make good all around vises. Where I agree, the full sized Cuda is an "at home" vise. I do take mine with me, but agree it is a bit heavy. I am probably going to be buying the Junior Trekker now for my travel vise now. It's a good "inbetween" vise for those who don't want to buy the more fully machined Barracuda. Just the Junior Trekker is a "No frills" vise.

Also, the jaws take a bit to get used to. But once you get the hang of them, it's easy to change up sizes fast. I don't normally tie down small, but I have had good luck with some small flies I've tied. Just need to reset the jaws just right. But luckily, if you buy the kit (for the full sized cuda) it comes with the midge jaws. I only tie salmon/steelhead flies, so I rarely go under a size 10 (and think at most go as low as an 8), so it's the perfect vise for me.

Thanks for all the help, this is the first time I have used this site. I was suprised by all the quick responses-- I am planning on purchasing the deluxe kit this week