Fly Tying
Boss

quality blood marabou

Would anyone have a good source of high quality blood marabou in bulk and or wholesale in many colors? I haven't been able to find good quality or lots of colors!

best of luck to you... "marabou" feathers seem to be extremely variable. Sometimes I get a pack that is all 5 inch long, fine quality, 100% useable. Most of the time at least half the quills are garbage.

I guess it depends on what you mean by high quality- almost all of what I've seen could be used to tie #10 woolly buggers, but for large flies and the nice, long-fine fibers I look for, it is rare.

Mail-order is always a Hail Mary shot.

At my Fly shop they have "extra select" Blood Marabou that would prolly be what your looking for, I believe its made by Hareline. You might wanna check that out.

In general, my experience has been that Hareline and Wapsi seem to have relatively consistent quality. The problem is that they are not consistently stocked in many locations.

I find the hareline and wapsi marabou to be consistently too short for my needs, if you are looking for the long stuff, talk to Jack Cook at the Irish Angler, http://www.irishangler.com

He has marabou for spey style flies that is gigantic, it's pricey but worth every penny to me considering a lot of the crap I see in the fly shops and at places like Sportsman's Wearhouse these days.