Fly Tying
Max

Dyna-King Kingfisher - Opinions Please?

I am looking for a vise that will hold trout flies rock solid. I mostly tie trout nymphs size 12 & 14, midges in size 18 & 20, buggers in size 8 & 6. Would the Dyna-King Kingfisher be a good fit for my tying? Very interested to hear how it does with the size 20 hook? I do want to stay as close to $130 as possible. Sorry, there isn't one in town for me to try, it would be purchased over the net. Thanks for the help.

I have a Dynaking and it does hold a hook very well. Mine is the Sidewinder, but the jaws in all the vises are the same. My recomendation (given the sizes you tye most,) order yours with the midge jaws. The midge jaws are smooth (not pocketed.) These jaws will hold hooks up to size 8, and the smaller points will give you better access to your midge patterns.

We started carrying them a few years ago and the feedback has been great. It is a great vise for a full range of trout flies. The only thing that has turned a few people away is it's size. It is much smaller then a Professional and I think a little smaller then the Voyagers. I like a vise around the same size range as the Pro and for a while I was using a Kingfisher because my Pro needed service. Over that 2 weeks or so I did get used to the small size but I still like the larger vise, more room between the hook and the stem. Tt does hold a hook just as well but the shorter lever is a down side making it not as easy to quickly switch hooks and requiring more effort.

Joe Fox

As far as my opion goes Dyna King Vises are the best. I have had a Dyna King Voyager 2 for a while. The best hook holding power of any vise. The Standard jaws will hold just about any hook. The only hook I have had any problems with is the TMC200R, 3XL curved Shank in larger sizes. They do not fit in the pocket, if you try you will break the points off the hooks. With the 200R in larger sizes is when I use the midge jaws.

I do tie a lot of midges, size range 18 to 24.

As far as the king fisher goes you can not go wrong, simple high quality vise

post-4259-1198789927_thumb.jpg

Size 24 hook in standard jaws, plenty of room to work, looking close at pic, I have the hook a little deep. It can even be brought up more.

post-4259-1198790105_thumb.jpg

Midge box, tied all with standard jaws

I have 3 Dyna-Kings .. the Kingfisher being one of them .. and would have no problems recommending them to anyone.

Mike

I have a DK Squire, which was given to me by a friend. I've tied down to size 22 1x fine with no problems. Standard jaws. I'm not sure of the cost, but I'm pretty sure it's one of thier more basic models. Probably around $150, if not less. And it's bulletproof, like all DK's. Might be a good choice. Good luck.

The Kingfisher is a great vise!!!!!!!! I've had mine for 2 years now and I love it!!!!!!!!!! I will echo the opinions of the others though that you might want to order it with the midge jaws. I have the regular jaws and I still tie down to a 20.

You won't regret getting it, an excellent vise. Didn't know they were up to $130 though got mine for $69 on sale at one of my local shops.

Fatman

I bought my Kingfisher about 5 years ago and paid a little less than $100 for it. I was told the standard jaws will hold down to a 22 with no problems. I have it set to tie my medium sized streamers. A Voyager 2 will handle the bigger stuff and my Trekker with the midge jaws take care of the midges. That's one good thing about having an apartment all by myself. I have a tying station set up in 3 different rooms. :rolleyes: :blink:

Mike

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I shouldn't have any problem down to size 20. :thumbsup: So far the best price I have found is $130. Maybe an after Christmas sale will pop up soon.