Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Bucktails from the 1973 Tying and Fishing the Thunder Creek Series

I don't know if you all have seen the bucktails from the book printed in 1973, Tying and Fishing the Thunder Creek Series, but there are some lovely little fish catchers in there. I plan to tie some over New Year's day, but I actually don't have the size hooks I need.

Does anyone know where I can get some 6X long shank, straight ringed eye, round bend hooks. I can find a variety of hooks with Limerick bends, dropped or raised eyes in 3X or 4X, but in my searches, the 6X long shank, straight ringed eye, round bend hooks are hard to come by!

I'll appreciate your help. I hope these aren't as easy as the Helen Shaw book I couldn't find; if someone finds them as easily as they did that and they're a dime a dozen, I'll get a complex.

Thanks!

Ray

Ray - The hook should have an eye that goes out straight, not up or down. The straight eye helps keep the head cement or epoxy out of the eye when the head is finished. I've used Cabelas Model 40 hooks (4XL Straight Eye streamer hook) with good success on the Thunder Creek series of flies. Gaelic also sells a "Keith Fulsher's Thundercreek Streamer hook" that is specially designed for these streamers. I know there are others hook models you can use. Just look for the 4XL to 6XL size range streamer hooks with straight eyes.

I can highly recommend the more recent Fulsher book. The photograpy is excellent and there are a ton of patterns to suit your local baitfish population. Have fun. :)

Ray and all,

I am buying the straight eyed hooks. The raised or lowered eyes just didn't look like they would work well.

What is the best material for the heads? Will Sally Hanson's work? I would like a good, firm base for the eyes, but with the hair folded back, there should be a very strong framework to work with when applying the head material.

I plan to do the eyes as described here:

My suggestion is to get a cheapo set of drill bits (make sure the end that would get inserted into the drill is flat) and some dowels to make handles with. Drill the dowels out to accomodate the bits and epoxy them in with the bottoms of the bits sticking out. This should give just about every possible size graduation one would need. Or, even easier if you dont mind, use the bits as they are.

Thanks a lot for the link caddis! That's a good one.

Thanks again, guys!

Ray

I plan to do the eyes as described here:

My suggestion is to get a cheapo set of drill bits (make sure the end that would get inserted into the drill is flat) and some dowels to make handles with. Drill the dowels out to accomodate the bits and epoxy them in with the bottoms of the bits sticking out. This should give just about every possible size graduation one would need. Or, even easier if you dont mind, use the bits as they are.

That. Is. Brilliant!