Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
juice01

australian insects

Hi everyone :D

Im new here and quite new to fly fishing and tying as well. I was just wondering, it is coming into winter here in oz in a few months so would anyone have an idea of what insect life would be around our lakes??

I would like to know as to which flys to use?

may be a silly question, but as I said I am a newby

Thanx

juice-

Your question is certainly not silly. My attempting to answer it may meet that qualification, as I have never been "down under." However, I will give it my best shot.

For the most part, there would be the same aquatic macroinvertebrate orders and families in the southern hemisphere, as there are in the northern hemisphere, but their schedules would be offset by six months. In other words, you should expect to find in March down there, what you would see in September up here. For stillwaters, that would include mayflies, caddisflies, chironomids, aquatic beetles, waterboatmen, backswimmers, scuds, leeches, etc. Hope this helps.

Thanx Taxon. Thats a great help.

What about in the middle of winter? Or is it too cold . Im going to fish fairly hard this winter, so I really want to be ready.

Thanx :D

Juice-

I would expect mayfly and caddisfly pretty much dormant on stillwaters in mid-winter, but other macros mentioned are likely to be available.

G'Day Juice and Arkle

I have just signed on as a member of Hatches what a wonderful website I congratulate you all. Juice give me a call on 03 5774 2825 or email me on [email protected] and i will be able to assist with your problems.

If you wish check out my website www.kossiedun.com.au it should also help you get a handle on what bugs and flies that are around during our off season.

Cheers Mick Hall