Fly Tying
countrykat

First fly

OK I tied my first fly and learned a few thing in the process. First, a little bit of feather goes a long way. Second, I need a different bobbin. My thread kept fraying and breaking while tying. The one I have now came in a cabelas kit. I am ordering a new Griffin ceramic bobbin tonight. Third, don't use so much head cement. It ran all the way down the tail and last is the rabbit hair dubbing did not wrap to well onto the thread, not quite sure what was going on with that. Maybe the yarn is a little easier to work with. Anyway here is a picture.

IPB Image

Any help or opinions would be appriciated. Can you see anything I did wrong other than cutting the ends of the feathers off. I also could not get the feathers on the front of the fly to spread out and open up. Was I using something to fine? It's tied on a 16 hook.

Let me here it.

Thanks

Jim

If you don't have prewaxed thread you may have to add it it get the dubbing to stick. Same deal of the feathers, a little goes a long way. If you use you dubbing needle, you can get the little barbs on the hackle to seperate and get a more even collar (after the collar is tied in a secured with thread wraps). Not bad for first fly though. I wish I had a picture of mine. I didn't understand the hook sizes and tyed a #12 nymph on a #2 hook. I didn't have the fine lead wire, so I added a few wraps of lead solder. It cast like a stone. I did catch a sucker on it which just shows the fish tend the be less picky than the fisherman. :dunno:

before u get another bobbin spread the crap out of the prongs. got me a ceramic and after i ordered I said what the heck with my metal bobbin if it breaks, and bent the bobbins thread holder part out and what do ya kno. it works perfect!!! got a dr slick ceramic and that works great now but use both. although the metal threader i got with the metal bobbin I got just calls early death to it!!! what else can u use to thread a ceramic??

I just tried one myself. The thread I have says it's waxed. I'll have to do some research and find out how to use the whip finisher and dubbing needle. Why didn't the feathers spread out on the front of the hook. I used the hackle pliers and wrapped it around the hook but it did not seperate like I thought it would.

I agree on the bobbin, grab the two ends of it, like the wishbone of a turkey and pull them apart a LITTLE, then keep adjusting that gap until the tension is taunt while not breaking your thread.

"I just tried one myself. The thread I have says it's waxed." - There is a great dubbing video here somewhere I think, I'll try to find it.

"Why didn't the feathers spread out on the front of the hook. I used the hackle pliers and wrapped it around the hook but it did not seperate like I thought it would." - Did you run your fingers down the feather "roughing" it up before you tied it to the hook? Hold the feather by the tip in one hand, then grab below the tip with your thumb and index finger, then run those two fingers down the feather. Do this a few times and the feather will look "open" and separated.

Keep it up!!

Mark

No I did not run my fingers through the feather. I did it on the bottom section to open a spot to attach it to the hook but not the top. I pulled the bobbin legs apart and they turned sideways. It was a bobbin from a cabelas kit so I'm sure they weren't the best. Anyway my new Griffin bobbin is on the way. Now I just need to find a few good sets of wing burners. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Are you using a teaching aid like a book or DVD? There are some great basic books on the market. The Benchside Introduction to Fly Tieing will speed up your learning curve. I know the other tiers know of other good basic books also

countrycat,

A great learning aid when you're just using a book is to go to http://www.flyanglersonline.com/ on the left hand side of the screen click on flytying and then click on beginning fly tying. It's a great course by the late Al Campbell and is really great. follow each lesson and if you want to print them out and put them in a binder to make a book go for it.

fishaholic69 to thread a ceramic bobbin just push the thread up into the bottom hole and then suck on the tube till the thread comes through, might take a few tries but beats using the threader and tearing up you bobbin.

Fatman

Just a couple tips for ya on tying the hackle. I'm also still learning, so if someone sees any wrong advice just say so.

On the first fly.

I have found that when tying a softer hackle I like to measure the length of the hackle relative to the hook point (meaning the feather, when tied on, will usually end at the hook point). I will then stroke the the feather the opposite direction to help separate the feather. Tie it in by the tip of the feather with the concave side down. I find this helps wind the feather back. While you are winding the hackle, stroke the feather back towards the body. This will also help separate the feather. Usually 2-3 turns will do. Tie off the feather.

As far as the body dubbing, that just takes practice. It's always better to have less than too much. You can always add more. Some use wax and others don't (I don't. Good old spit on the fingers). Just a preference.

And lastly. Much about a fly is proportions. The tails length, the body, the thorax, the head, the hackle lengths, and wing lengths. Again, that will come with repetition. Tie a fly that are easiest. Start with buggers and griffith's gnats and when you have tied 20+ of those and have it looking great, move to the next fly (like a gold ribbed hares ear or variations of the partridge and yellow soft hackles) and tie that till it looks great. They don't have to look perfect. I strive for proportions.

Anyway, looks like you're off to a good start and just practice, practice, and practice.

Cagolddigger gives you some good advice. It may be easier starting with a simple pattern such as a wooly bugger or wooly worm.. Tying on smaller hooks such as you have can be quite intimidating. Learn your proportions for each type of fly, and maybe purchase a hackle gauge.

What should the proportions be? Head, thorax, and tail. How are you supposed to gage it? Does it come from the hook size? You said that wooley boogers are the easiest to tie. I did not find the dry fly I did very difficult but I did learn several things. I also appreciate all the advice I am receiving.

Several years ago I had a business building custom rods. They are all over the world now. It was a good learning experience and I talked to hundreds of people and now have a few very good friends from it. I guess this is the next step for me.

Can anyone recommend a good book for selecting feathers and tying materials?

Thanks

Jim