Fly Tying
beartooth

Harvesting Pheasant

Hi there.

I live out in the country, in an area where lots of pheasants get hit on the road. Seems like a waste to just let the scavenger birds mess up the hackle.

My question is this...is there a good way to harvest any decent hackle from a phesant, assuming it's just been "hit" and not "run over"?

What parts and what's the best way?

Thanks.

KD

Take the carcass and skin it. I can't seem to let roadside waste happen, either.

Visit www.flyanglersonline.com

find the icon at bottom for Atlantic Flies. In that section Ronn Lucas writes a very effective way to skin birds and save the pelts.

just a quick disclaimer, be sure to know your laws in your area. Many birds and sometimes game animals require permission from the powers that be to be picked up. Sometimes no matter what they are illegal to pick up.

steve

Ditto Steve's comments. No matter how trivial the matter may seem at the time, unknowingly going astray of the law can lead to trouble in matters like this.

Disclaimer: that goes without saying- I guess I should assume someone's smart enough to know their states' game laws. Then again, I give people credit for being able to think and presume they've done so until otherwise disproven- thanks for covering my Six on this, guys!

Don't recover raptors- federal as well as state laws affect your actions if you are caught.

Raptors!!!!.You mean those big things that run around on two legs with big teeth...and surround you? I will be sure to avoid those...Thanks Dave! ohmy.gif

And don't forget the bugs/lice. They almost all have them. With mamals it's rabbies you have to be careful with. I think you are safe from rabbies after three days. The freezer for a week usually does it if mama doesn't catch you.

Sis and Abbie, the killer Labradors, are always bringing something in the house. Possum like to wander along the top rail of the fence in our back yard and are snatched off and brought in through the doggie door (what's left of them). The possums here suck to use for fly tying. They could do an add for the mens hair club. I guess it's the heat.

Ted

LOL, I live in an area where many fur and feathers are on the side of the road. I never gave roadkill a second glance until I started purchasing stuff to tie flys. I have even stopped and backed up but I have a feeling that a road killed pheasant out of season could cost upwards of 200 bucks here in CA., so I reluctantly drive on. Think you can get one off ebay for about a Hamilton, heck it may of been a roadkill also, but safer.

yeah, definitely take precautions as many if not all wild taken materials contain bugs that can really hamper your day (trust me!). So be sure to take the usual precautions, and i go one step further and fumigate all the skins with bug killer. Don't know if its needed, but it gives me a safe sense. After my last fiasco, i need all the calm nerves i can. I also never mix my wild caught mat'ls with my store boughts as added protection.

steve

I carry a couple of garbage bags in the Jeep all the time (hiding dead bodies, giving CPR if needed, that kind of thing,) so I figured I'd just use those, and take the necessary precautions from a sanitary/disease standpoint.

Call me a dummy, but I didn't consider the gaming laws for road kill. I live in Montana in a pretty rural area, so I'd figure it wouldn't be an issue, but I will be giving FWP a call to see what they say, thanks for the heads up and the links, I'll check them out.

Guess I'll have to be careful when the mrs. goes out to the freezer for a pound of ground chuch, eh? blink.gif

QUOTE (beartooth @ May 14 2004, 12:18 AM)

Call me a dummy, but I didn't consider the gaming laws for road kill.

But you should, because the mindset of those that enforce the law is that there may be no way to prove that the animal was killed by a vehicle as opposed to other means (unless flattened like a pancake, of course).

Another thing to consider when cashing in on road kill, is the time of year. Animals killed in the early spring may not be as appealing as those killed in the winter or summer, as far as the quality of fur/hair/feathers go.

It's sad that some states dont allow you to use the road kill, atleast a fly tyier can always salvage something.