Fly Tying
beartooth

Harvesting Pheasant

BTW, bad news for me, FWP says it's illegal (as you guys expected) to mess with pheasants or other licensed-hunt animals, no matter how they were killed. I'd have to get a license for the season and then get them from hunters. Technically, it's actually illegal to take them from hunters as well unless I have a license to take them.

So, guess I'll be buying my hackle like everyone else. wallbash.gif

heh,

Funny how the game commission owns all the animals until they smash the hood on your car back to the windshield.

I've hit two deer and lost two cars one to each of them over the last four years. I have no idea what happened to the deer but they sure didn’t last long on the side of the road.

Btw did I mention I have tons of deer steak in the freezer?

wink.gif

McFly, if you don't already have them, you need deer whistles for the front bumper of your car. You can get them in the automotive section at Walmart. That may not be the right name for them, but they come two in a pack, attach to the bumper of your car, and make a whistling noise above the range of human hearing but deer can hear it. The area where I live is infested with deer. One ran out in front of the fire truck I was driving the other afternoon. Anyway, since I put those things on my pick up, I've seen lots of deer standing on the side of the road or running for the woods, but not once has one ran out in front of me. Some people may think they are worthless, but I am a firm believer that they work.

Breambuster

As far as the practical issue of skinning, I plan to try next winter on a pheasant a trick I've used successfully on little starlings. Here it is:

Cut a small hole in the skin somewhere on the body and insert the head of an air compressor. Seal as best you can with your fingers. Tap air into the bird and watch its skin balloon away from the body. I swear, this works--although I suppose it would be a splendidly perverse practical joke to play on strangers if it didn't.

Dry crotches,

Charles DeGroot