Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mwtroubum

How does one get involved in these

I am curious on how one gets involved in a swap, and how many flies I would need to tie per swap. Also, if I am involved in one does that automatically involve me in others?...Would appreciate any feed back. It seems like a great way to get to know more tiers from around the world, and a great way to get better at tying. I am not a rank beginner, but I am also not a show tier.....I would love to get involved if theres room.

just respond to a fly swap to get included. respond fast as they tend to fill up quickly.

good idea to read some of the rules on to of the main page of the swaps.

As Flytire mentions, check out the "Rules and policies of FTF swaps" and "All swappers must read" threads pinned at the top of the "Fly Swaps and Contests" page - that'll get you started. Then, all you do is find a swap you're interested in tying in, and post a reply to that thread - something to the effect of "I'm in".

The initial post (by the SwapMeister or SM) should have details of the swap, the due date, (estimated) number of tyers that will be accepted and general guidelines, type of flies etc. Most SMs will state that all FTF swap guidelines apply, which should be a given anyway. Getting in one one swap generally does not include you in any more that that one, although there are some exceptions where you may be the first asked to be in the 'continuation' or 'second round' of a swap, it's certainly not an obligation.

Then, you tie as many flies as the number of tyers in the swap, minus one, that's you, (although some tyers throw in an extra or two for the SM - (participants in the #18 nymph swap, this is NOT a hint :huh: )) and send them in a small package (Altoids tin in a bubble padded envelope generally works well) to the SM by the due date - (also, be sure to include a stamped, self addressed envelope for the SM to send your stuff back in). The SM then takes all the flies, re-arranges them, and sends your tin back with (normally) one each of the flies tied by everyone else in the swap.

Give it a shot, it's fun, and is a great way to become a better tyer. :D

Well said 907, :D

Welcome mwtroubum, join the next swap that peaks your interest.

I've only been tying for a few years and on the site for a year. The folks are super friendly and the swaps are not only loads of fun, you'll find new patterns and ideas along the way.

:P

:yahoo: :yahoo: Ok then....I have read all the rules and it seems pretty basic...If you say u are in then get the flies done! Thanks for all the tips and info....look forward to seeing your work and showing some of mine.....Thanks again!

Hello, I was just wondering if you know who tied what when you or the other participents recieve the flies or are they unlabled? It dosn't really matter I guess, I'm just curious.

Take Care,

You actually should toe tag all your flies in a swap so people know who and which fly you tied. So yes the flies should be labeled, but that is covered in the rules everyone in a swap should read. That pinned crap at the top