Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
snboggs

Homemade Mono Eyes

could you explain how you make these eyes i am new to fly tying and would like to learn as much as i can.

thanks for your help

watt :headbang:

I agree that they're fun to make and a useful skill to have..but saving money? You may be saving a little coin, but what's your time worth?

I pulled out a pack of Wapsi Medium Mono Eyes that I picked up from my local fly shop just down the street. $1.50 for 24 eyes. Lets call it 25 eyes for ease of math.

$1.50 divided by 25 eyes = .06 a piece

Lets just say after cutting my mono into lengths, placing it in the pliers, flaming it, etc, etc and assuming I don't screw a single one of them up and I had the mono lying around anyways so it was free..I can make 1 set of eyes every 30 seconds = 12 minutes ( I dropped the "extra" set of eyes for ease)

60 minutes divided by 12 = 5 sets of 24 per hour

5 x $1.50 = $7.50

My tying time is worth more than $7.50 an hour....What if you can only produce 3 packs worth an hour for whatever reason (about 1 set a minute) $4.50 an hour you've saved. :dunno:

I'm not trying to be a schmuck...really I'm not. It's just that when you figure savings of "making" as opposed to "buying" you've got to figure in your time as well.

This conversation starts to get dangerously close to the " I tie my own flies to save money" train of thought, which we all know is definitely "Bravo Sierra" :ripped:

My .02 worth...Scotty

Scotty,you may have something with the time involved.however another bennifit to making your own mono eyes is you can make them to suit your needs.Have you ever had to make a fly's head bigger or smaller so that the eyes weren't dis proportioned

Fishyman, it's much like saying you tie to save money. it's not necessarily the savings (although you can save by using mono you already have) but the joy of making them. I can buy flies, but i enjoy tying them. plus, the $1.50 for the pack, times 5, plus pie (bananna cream), to the fifth power of donut, is still math and I hate math. i think my point is, i saved about $45 in the 1/2 gallon of gas it would take me to drive the the fly shop that is only 10 miles away.

I tie to save money! ;)

Hi Watt

The best way to start making mono eyes is to start with some extra mono line if you or your friends have any. I do eyes with 10# 25# and 50# mono. If you can get some medical tweezers as they are tapered down to a fine point. That way you can control the gap between the eyes. Use a tea candle and place the mono in the tweezers and place next to the flame. You don't have to touch the flame. It will start to burn. When using the 50# mono I let the mono burn until it get close to the tweezers and turn the eye downward quickly. The flame should go out by doing this. The reason for holding the eye that's just been burned in the downward position is because the mono is still hot and will sag. After a few seconds it should be hard enough to do the other side. Once you get the hang of it you can crank them out pretty fast.

B)

Scotty,

First off nice name, mine's Scott :headbang:

I agree that making the eyes may take time, but I, personally, don't consider a hobby to a waste of time. Many tiers don't necessarily tie flies to save money. I know I don't. I tie because it's fun and I enjoy. So I have to say for me that I enjoy taking the time to make these things. I enjoy using my hands and I find it relaxing. Therefore, I don't consider it a waste of time. But I completely understand your point. :D

Watt,

The idea is to take a piece of heavy monofilament and burn the ends to form small balls that resemble eyes on some insects. If I can find the time in my hectic school schedule I will try to post some pictures. Perhaps someone else could post them if I can't get any up soon. Also, there may be a tutorial on it on the forum already, I don't know. Worth checking though.

So I want to show you guys the batch of eyes I've made but I can't figure out how to add a picture. I see the insert image button but it says to enter a URL. Any help? :help:

Hi Watt

The best way to start making mono eyes is to start with some extra mono line if you or your friends have any. I do eyes with 10# 25# and 50# mono. If you can get some medical tweezers as they are tapered down to a fine point. That way you can control the gap between the eyes. Use a tea candle and place the mono in the tweezers and place next to the flame. You don't have to touch the flame. It will start to burn. When using the 50# mono I let the mono burn until it get close to the tweezers and turn the eye downward quickly. The flame should go out by doing this. The reason for holding the eye that's just been burned in the downward position is because the mono is still hot and will sag. After a few seconds it should be hard enough to do the other side. Once you get the hang of it you can crank them out pretty fast.

B)

Thanks Floyd for the help i am going to try to make some this weekend..

:headbang:

Watt