Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
lykos33

porcupine quills

:help: Oh wise and noble sages of the FTF.. I have a dilemma.My thoughtful bro in law sent me a shoe box full of quills of various sizes,along with a supply of beads to last a life time.My dilemma you ask?!?!? What kind of patterns are there for me to learn? I don't see a way to put in "porcupine quills" in a search and get some examples.

Back in the 80's Ted Niemeyer made a lot of flies with porcupine quills, he used them for tails and legs on stonefly nymphs, and even mashed them flat and wound them as bodies. They never found much favor as they're dangerous to have floating loose in a material box, or when you forget the 2" piece of hide you left in some dark drawer.

Lot's of things you can do with them, just make sure you secure them well if you save them. Plastic bags are not safe - the quill will penetrate it like butter, I used a small cardboard box with a "skull and crossbones" to remind me what was inside.

:yahoo: Aint this place the greatest? I knew I could get some good ideas from all the sources on here....Thank Ya Folks! :D

round up the kids and nightcrawlers and head out to the bluegill hole...... a few rubberbands and a bit of ingenuity will thurn those quills into fun bobbers. Let the kids paint them before you go! They'll love it!