Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Neil M

changing lenses ?

when I was out shooting yesterday I changed my lense in the field and I got dust on the processor, I didnt know till the end of the day so some of my shots with lighter backgrounds have a spot in them. Now I cleaned the dust off the processor, but is their anyway to prevent this from hapening again? I guess what I am asking is their any tricks to dust free lense changing?

Yes, this is tricky. Get in as clean an environment you can. Get out of the wind. Turn the camera off. Wait at least 10 secs for sensor to discharge. (A charged sensor is a dust magnet.) Only detach the lens with the opening facing the ground, and keep the camera facing the ground. As quickly as possible, remove the lens from the camera, remove the end cap from the new lens and place on the old lens, place new lens on body.

Wait unil you slap macro lens on or shoot at f22.

Then you'll see dust :)

Don' sweat it, its part of using a DSLR. Like troutgeek said. Turn the camera off, wait a fewseconds and have the new lens ready to go. I typcally have the new lens standing upside down, cap screwed off.

"Old" lens comes off, place it face down, lift cap, put new lens on, screw cap onto lold lens. With practise you can do it in seconds.

Neil, your sensor is bound to occasionally pick up a spot or two even if you don't change lenses. There are often tiny bits of debris floating around inside the body when it comes from the factory. Just be careful and don't use anything that wasn't designed specifically for sensor cleaning. If you scratch the sensor, you're looking at major money, maybe even a new camera. Canned air is a no-no as well. If any of the liquid propellant gets on the sensor or your mirror it could cause damage. If you have Photoshop or some other editing program, it's relatively easy to touch up the image and get rid of the spots. I had my camera commercially cleaned a couple of weeks ago after 10 months of use - cost $50, but it was well worth it. It was getting to the point that I couldn't keep up with the dust and smears, so I just let somebody who knew what they were doing handle it. What's weird is that I only remove the lens to clean the sensor, so I guess it was mostly factory debris. Some of that stuff appeared to have some sort of liquid in it (lubricant maybe?) which caused the smears when I tried to get it off. The repair shop got it spotless - it'll be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Hi Peterjay,

Please keep us posted as to how long the "professional cleaning" remains effective. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com