Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Matt C

Film Camera

Hi guys, haven't posted here, photography corner, much lately but have been looking at everyones beautiful pictures.

I am heading out West for a week next Tuesday and am borrowing my mothers old camera for the trip. I have zero experience shooting with film.

Camera: Minolta Maxxum 500 si

Lens: Sigma 200m 28/200 mm

She has another lens but cant find it. :blink:

Is any one familiar with this camera and its capabilities?

Any pointers in using it? :dunno:

Thanks as always.

Matt

I've got a Maxxum 5, but haven't used it in a bit since going digital.

Fine camera. I'm a Minolta guy (which makes me a Sony guy now). It's not a high end Canon, but it'll take fine pics for you. Read up on the owner's manual, get familar with shutter speed and apeture, and it'll do you well.

Jeff

Not really sure, but you should bring the digital if you can.

I will have my digital. I plan to clear out the memory for a slew of pics next week.

Hi Matt,

I have an old Minolta (X-700) which is older than the model you will be using. On it all you have to do is set the ASA/ISO rating for the film in question, put the shutter speed on "P" (green), set the lense on "auto" (also green) and don't forget to focus. I don't remember if the model you plan on using is auto focus or not but be sure to check that out. Also, if it hasn't been used in a while I'd definitely get new batteries for it. On my old Minolta the battery compartment is easily opened using a dime as a screw driver. One other thing Matt, you still have time to run a roll through it, get the pics developed and see if you are running the camera as you should. It would be a shame to loose trip pics for lack of a single roll of "test film."

I did a quick Internet search and the following Web site may have some information you can use.

http://ca.konicaminolta.com/products/consu...xum5/index.html

Good luck on your trip, let us know how it went and share some pics. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Thanks Guys,

And thank you Al! I found an online manual and Im reading up on the camera. It seems as though the camera can do a lot. I am planning on running some film through it as you suggest after I pick it up tonight.

Mom also has another lense for it but she cant find that or the bag. :dunno:

Chad, Im working on the digital. It's Jess's camera, need I say more? :rolleyes: :P

Hey guys, should I be manual or auto focusing the 28/200 mm lens.

The auto focus delays and makes noises for several seconds before taking the pic. The image looks focused through the view finder, lighting is good, not too close and it still hesitates to shoot.

Should l I just utilize the manual focus?

It all depends. I like manual sometimes to get the camera where I need it to be and not mess around with it "hunting."

But, if I'm leaning up against a tree taking 50 shots of a woodpecker on a tree, especially in low light, I'll shoot autofocus so I'm not straining my eyes and fidgiting with the lens. Keep the camera trained on what you're doing, and it'll make the small, little minute adjustments needed to keep the subject in focus.

And I used to shoot AF alot more than I do now. I'm 29 and just recently developed a stigmatism in my left (dominant, shooting) eye, so it's hard for my eye to focus very, very crisply on super detail. I don't wear glasses, but my eye doesn't work as well as the camera, and I'll use manual focus and think I'm focused, but the image comes out not focuse. This is where I'll shoot AF now, and let the camera do it. It may not look as sharp as it can be to my eye behind the camera, but the camera knows better, and the image comes out good. It takes a bit to learn to trust the camera. Kinda like a pilot learning to trust his instruments.

Jeff