Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dezod

Scud Help

I have a question that I was hoping some of you might be able to help me answer. I am tying up a group of scuds for a swap I joined. I joined primarily because I have never tied or fished a scud (fairly new to the sport), but I need to do both. I looked and looked, tried a bunch of patterns and finally combined a group of patterns into something that I think looks very "scuddy". My question has to do with coloration of the egg sack/bacteria/whatever it is in some scuds. I am tying up a bead body scud, but I want to use a glass colored bead in the middle. I tied one up with a red bead that looks really good, however, it is dark and before I send out a group of scuds for the swap I want to make sure that they are fishable. I have heard that pink and orange are good. Can I use red or do I need to change the color. The scuds are olive.

Thanks in advance

C

another option is to use white thread on the shank and slide the bead over it, that will lighten the color.......but yes red or orange would work fine IMHO

Hi, if I understand, you would like to tie a scud with parasite - scud with parasite is usualy lighter color with ORANGE spot in its body. Orange parasite changes metabolics in gammmaruses body, so the scud is loosing its "invisibily"===> natural atractor (parasite needs to be eaten by fish).

EDITED:

for pattern:

hook: Maruto C15 debarbed

body: light rabbit dubbing & orange syntetic dub.

ribbing: leather line (monofil) 0,14mm

back: flash flexibody strip

post-15464-1213742214_thumb.jpg