Fly Tying
Capt. Matt C

Copper John Color?

Favorite/Most Effective Coper John Color  

316 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi All. I have been reading more about the copper john and was wondering what color is most effective for all of you.

Cheers,

Matt

I voted copper. Most productive probably cuz it's the one I use most and have most cofidence in. Have tried other colors, but not enough to really form a realistic opinion.

I am going to vote other, because I seem do well with different colors, my favorite color is the Olive and Olive/black mix. I did really well with a burnt org/brown recently for little cuttys. Blue was a favorite of mine when I first started fishing the CJ. I like experiment with the various different color combos that are available. Try different colors and experiment with smaller sizes for those tailwaters you are now fishing. :D

I chose Chartreuse because I have alot of copper color flies and don't always use copper johns for that. I like the chartreuse during a yellow sally hatch or a caddis hatch or just when the water is muddy.

They are all good at certain times. Look at how long the Brassie Flies and Copper Johns (in all colors) have been catching fish?

"Why is it called a Brassie when there is no brass used in its construction? When it was first developed brass plated wire was used but it is no longer in production. Fly tiers moved to using a more modern, easily available material, copper wire. It is said to have been developed in the 1960's for use in Colorado's South Platte River. Who invented it? Ken Chandler, Tug Davenport and Gene Lynch collaborated in using flies with copper wire bodies around that time. There are lots of variations all with named designers claiming the fly for themselves. This nymph is a general purpose fly. It suggests food and doesn't try to imitate a specific insect. Some say it is a cased caddis that has rolled in iron pyrite sand to build it's home but in my opinion that is garbage. It is just a great nymph that works. If the trout like it as I know they do from numerous successes, I like it."

http://business.virgin.net/british.classic...phs-brassie.htm

The hetero-genius nymph I "hetero-tied" in the early 1990's had some brassie influence due to the productivity I had with the brassie nymph patterns. It fooled trout (I wanted to say murdered) from New Zealand to Montana and Colorado to Michigan. http://www.castersflyshop.com/Video%20Foot...eterogenius.wmv In addition, look at how productive the Copper John nymph pattern has been.

"John Barr could not have realized the stir this pattern would create throughout the fly fishing and tying world. Originated in 1996, the Copper John steadily gained popularity and creditability among fly anglers all over the world. In 2001, this nymph pattern became the best selling fly in the Umpqua catalog of flies joining the likes of other classic nymph patterns such as the Hare’s Ear and Prince Nymph.

The popularity of the Copper John is not due simply to its good looks but rather its uncanny ability to catch fish. Like other legendary fly patterns this nymph has a few key features that make it appetizing to fish. "

http://www.americanflyfishing.com/retail/c...d=212&id=91

The key with nymph patterns, in most cases, is to use materials that get them down (and are attractive to fish). Nymphs produce very well when fished along the bottom 1/4 of the water column.

I like to fish nymphs though :wub:

hi i am only a begginer but i have tied a few copper johns..... i have tied them in many colors but never have i seen 1 that looks as good as the original

My favorite is the original, But they all work good under certain conditoins.A good friend of ours both(Ron Smith)happens to realy like the red and thats all I've seen him use.

My favorite is the original, But they all work good under certain conditoins.A good friend of ours both(Ron Smith)happens to realy like the red and thats all I've seen him use.

Red is THE COLOR on Ron's stream (And I still miss that little creek). :D

Ask him about the red copper crouse. :P

Ask him about the red copper crouse.

I did and he said that that bug is the S!@#, and he said it is pretty simple!

I wuold like to see it if you would post a pic.

You know me brother if it ain't red it might as well be dead. Actually the wire color I use is called hot orange, but it looks closer to red to me. Told Alex about the copper crouse, hard to believe that thing works the way it does. Now you need to get that thing working in Colorado and give it it's just rewards.