Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
miked

Hooks for salmon

Hey all. Looking at getting started on some of my tying for the salmon runs. Looking for recomendations on hooks for buggers and egg sucking leaches??? Just curious as to what others use for these patterns.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike, most tyers use a streamer hook for these patterns.....usually with a couple xx's involved.....in other words extra, extra long, or at least with one x, or extra long. Although a regular streamer hook will usually do, without the extra length.....depending on the size of the fish your after. The extra length gives you a bit of added weight to the fly, and the added materials used for the extra shank length, will soak up more water enabeling the fly to sink easier/faster. And depending, (on if you use added weight), you have more length to make more lead (or substitute) wraps on a longer hook. You can also use weighted beads, (sometimes colored) to help get the fly down. Said beads can also serve as your "egg" for a sucking leech pattern. Good hooks brands include Gamakatsu and or Daiichi. Both are chemically sharpened and extrememly sharp. I like to ues hooks with straight or ring eyes. Always make sure to check the regulations of any river you fish, (as to gap width, and barb or barbless) to protect your self and the fish. Barbless is always best just in case you get a fly in your body somewhere and for safer/easier release of the fish. Also, it is much easier to get a bead on a fly with a flattened barb. For added gap width, you can also use a wet fly or nymph hook that IS extra or extra extra long. And you may want to use one with extra heavey wire to help get it down. Sometimes a curved nynph or terrestial hook also works well. You can even try a bait hook, (with barbs along the shank, smashed down), to tye these flies. Often, they have longer shanks and very nice bends to them. Good luck and tight wraps. mark..... ;)

Daiichi 1750 or Orvis 0167 (same hook) are perfect hooks for that application. 4xl straight eye and 2Xheavy.

Thanks for the replies all. I've tied many of em on a few different hooks, just curious what others use. I've tied em on 36890's I just find that hook to be a little short, doesnt really give the look it seems. I'm gonna have to try them Daiichi 1750's, had them written down as a possibility after some online research last nite.

Thanks

Mike

Doesn't Mustad have a straight eyed hook? I think they have one they call the Wooley Bugger hook. I'll keep on digging for you.

Mike

Found them at Cabelas .. which is also the first and only place I looked so I'm sure other places will carry them. It's the Mustad 9674.

I like a 3x or 4x long shank hook. Chemically sharpened and squeeze down the barb, most of my woolly buggers I add a brass bead to get the fly down quicker and add a little jiggy action. I like to use Whiting Spey rooster saddle or their new Bird Fur for the hackle. It is sparser, has more action than regular hackle and comes in some cool buggy colors.

Also, if you like longer flies you can use the Daiichi 2340 (6X long) or 2370 (7X long) or the Partridge CS15 (10x long). I tie some big woolly buggers on those 10xl's for early salmon.