Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Magoo

Rubber Legs

Can someone tell how much material you get in a pack of rubber legs such as:

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/catego...=SM-720020-FIBL

I can kinda judge the width of the package and guess at the number of strands. But about how long are they?

Also, does anyone have any non-Fly Shop sources for a comparable material?

Thanks.

Thanks Fly Tyer Guy. Just the answers I was looking for- and thanks for the link.

I was hoping there was another source for some colors I might use a lot of (black/white) that would be a bit cheaper. But for a 2 ft length, Fly Shop prices don't seem all that unreasonable. I'll just have to try to be good :innocent: about how much variety I buy.

Cheers

I haven't purchased rubber legs in 20 years... BUNGIE CORDS!!!!! These supply all a' need. various sized rubber and real , real cheap!

West Marine sells by the inch and occasionally has a mix of black and white rubber...

I'm with bowfin. If you need black and white round rubber go get a few bungie chords. I bought one and it had a mix of black and white strands. But for colors living rubber is probably your best bet.

Excellent. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

The outdoor shop around the way sells bungee by the foot. I'll go check it out. Or maybe it's time to retire one of the bungees from the back of the truck.

I've bought silicone skirt materials from non-fly-tying tackle suppliers like Jann's Netcraft, and it seems like you get a ton of product for not too much, and you can get any imaginable color plus a few you never did imagine. The truck-winch and broom-stick crowd use them to dress spinnerbaits and jigs.

Thanks JSz. Funny, I actually got a pack of that stuff last night at a semi-local gas station/tackle shop. The variety of colors and finishes was pretty impressive. But they were charging $1 for enough for one of what they called a "Jaw Breaker Jig". It's plenty for lots of bug legs, but really not very much material for the $. I'll check out Jann's to see how they compare.

Cheers