Fly Tying
Futzer

Futzer's Cadfly

Do not worry, I am full of useless information and patterns. I may just submit a few for the swaps and contests.

Cheers and tight lines, Futzer.

PS. I forgot to add I developed this in 1985 on the Blue river between Dillion res. and Green Mtn Res. in Colorado. And thank you for the nice comments!

One other detail, before I wind the turkey biot body, I coat the thread base with thin cement, it keeps the biot from unravelling even after several fish.

Cheers Futzer.

Here's my feeble attempt. I clipped the bottom of the hackle to give a fat silhouette on the water. Tied in a size 16... I didn't have the proper color hackle, but you get the idea. Futzer, fire away with tips!

IMG_2703.jpg

What!? You can't see it? Let's try this:

post-9601-1226618652_thumb.jpg

Very clean tie Jeff. build the body up a little so it has a carrot shaped taper, and a slightly generous hair cut on the bottom of the hackle, I cut about 40° as viewed from the eye. Now young man lets see 200 Dozen of them by next week.

Cheers, Futzer.

PS, you could be the man to beat at the FTOTY awards, I will have to bring my A game.

So looking at the cadflies you sent me, it looks like the hackle was trimmed at 180 degrees (like "A" in the pic below). I'm guessing "B" is at about a 40 degree angle... which one of these pics should the hackle look most similar to if you're viewing the fly down the eye of the hook?

post-9601-1226619747_thumb.jpg

C is correct, that way when they light on the water, the ends bend slightly and make more of a "foot" impression in the surface film. And Sorry when I said 40°, I actually meant 120°. I had a geometry bubble burst in my brain. And I was trying to figure out how to tie a floating Pterodactyl for the FTOTY awards for Pike top water.

Cheers, Futzer.