Fly Tying
purolohi kalastaja

Which 3 flies to teach a beginner?

Bugger, Clouser, Hares ear.

I understand what you mean about beginners and dubbing, but on a hares ear using pre-packaged dubbing it's not that bad and dubbing is a very useful skill.

Don't fear the dubbing! :flex:

Scotty

yeah i started with the wooly bugger/ hairs ear and the elk hair caddis fly.really halps with tying them flys the adams are kinda hard for a begginner so those should come later.

I think that the others are starting to point you in the right direction. A woolly worm is the classic starting fly to learn.

It is large enough to see what you are doing and get the extreme basics down. Make them do a few before going to

the next pattern. The next should be a larger dry fly with-out wings or even a renegade to teach hackle form.

I think the hairs ear is not too out of line for a beginner but it will require more individual attention to show the basic

dubbing form...try showing several types of dubbing techniques to give an over view of possibilities.

I seriously think that foam bodies should be added to the first couple of ties. These were not around when i started.

The foam is a different type of tying all-together. Next work with hair. An elk hair caddis is basic and naturally leads into

tying in wings. I think all of us forget how hard the first few ties really were. You need to teach the 10-12 basic techniques

for tying most flies, not worry about patterns.

One, basic thread wrapping. 2, tail sizing and attachment (several types here). 3, body wrapping with yarn,chenille and floss

(later intro dubbing as an advanced method)in flat and tappers. 4, hackeling...intro several basic types, palmered, natural, wet, and even the short

wrap of partridge or what-ever. And the new stuff of foam cutting and tying should go in around here??? 5, show hair stacking

and basic tying (elk hair caddis is the best intro for hair handling. Maybe even show how a couple of types of beads can be done.

The world advances from there.

Lets face it, most of us don't even think of the real basics like proper hook holding or how to hold a bobbin loose or tight. Then

a real new person needs to be shown several ways to hold hackle pliers, and what a bodkin can be used for. Those REAL

basics are what the first few flies should be about. We lacked a good supply of hooks when i first started so we tied basics

on straight pins in a hap-hazard order. The problem was that we were middle-school aged and figured out how to shoot

them through straws...The school found us hooks real quick. But what they first tie doesn't have to even be a fly... you just

need to think REAL basics to start and learn the motor skills. Maybe start with pins and all the knot basics?

Good luck on the teaching.

Good Day,

Got to agree with Old Hat... wooly bugger, no wing Adams and bead head hare's ear. Although the nymph could be substituted with a bead head pheasant tail. I would also suggest a fourth, rubber spider. These four flies will provide a reasonably good foundation for a new tyer.

Steelie