Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MbCarp

Leaders/Knots/Carp

Hi All- well the quest for the "golden grail" continues:)))- after a few trips and some success- 17 fish so far between 21 and 33" all fair hooked and purposly sought on the fly, a few questions have popped up. I,m using a 10 ft 9 wt/Cortland SL intermediate clear line/ store bought leaders of 12 lb test/improved clinch knot connection to line and fly. It seems like in our area 30" carp are the average( ive been fishing the rivers so far- ranging from slow to boiling current scenarios) and are easily played and landed, but I have hooked fish that are clearly! and instantly clearly! bigger, so far the result has been either a pulled knot/snapped tippet or pulled hook - the pulled hook i can live with as part of the show - but failed knots and snapped tippets suggest i,m doing something wrong. Given that i,m coming at this from a creek trout background:))) i,m a little out of my depth on the BIGGER fish- i was hoping some of you with experience in this might have some tips. Its great to be hooking these amazing fish( i,m just guessing but have been seeing fish in the low to mid 40" ) but not even having anything other than a sense of awe as they smash leader or knot is getting a little frustrating:))) HELP!!!!!!!!!!

What presentation are you using?

Maybe you could loosen your drag and play them a little more. IMO, a bent hook is a symptom of horseing them too much on a tightly set drag.

I've had good luck on bigger fish using a leader of straight 8lb P-Line CX tied to my fly with an improved clinch. I've even used 4lb on my 6wt and pulled it off.

Dragging weighted nymphs and streamers across a muddy bottom is the usual method for me. I don't think "leader spooking" is an issue with this presentation.

With a fly rod 12 lb test should be more than enough to land almost any sized carp. Like YPSIFLY said you gotta play them and basically just let themselves tire out because if you try to bring them in before they are ready your looking for trouble blink.gif

MbCarp,

I use an airflow braided 5 1/2 foot leader with about 4 feet of 8lb flouro on the end of it. I use a loop-to-loop connection between them and can honestly say that I hardly have a problem with breaking them off unless they wrap me around something. However, I use an 8wt for them as well so it may make the difference. Just something to consider.

Thanks for the replies folks:))) great help- i went out this morning

9:30- 1:15 pm

27 hookups

18 fish to the net

16 Carp

2 Freshwater Drum

5 of the Carp foul hooked

11 fair hooked:)))))

Carp from 28"- 35"

the 35" ,er:))

user posted image

the situation is a river diversion channel with heavy current flow- i went with a 14 lb leader and Palomar knot to the fly- and not a single ripped knot:)))- guess i,m learning

btw all fish taken on a crawdad imitation

YPS- the prob here in this situation is that i,m fishing the slack water off the main HEAVY current where the Carp are holding - if the fish get in the main current your out 100 yds of line almost instantly and marching through the bushes trying to catch up:)))) - the only hope is to try and contain them in the slack- but i,m learning i,m learning:))))

I bet those fouled ones put up quite the mighty fight ohmy.gif

Sounds like a great day, I would be more than estatic with that catch ratio. You'll never get 'em all.